Chapter 10: Itching For a Spanking?

"Let's get going, the car is downstairs," Fu Zhi announced with his cell phone in hand. "Chi Yunkai will meet us there."

Gu Wei had just posted his diatribe to his Moments on WeChat. He had yet to fully recover from the shock he'd just received. He nodded distractedly, not quite paying attention, and got up to follow his bandmates downstairs to the van waiting to pick them up.

He didn't want to wait too long for the other guys to check their WeChat and see his new post, so he gave them a gentle nudge in that direction and brought up Jiang Xun himself—

"What kind of person is Jiang Xun?" he asked.

"Now you're interested?" Fu Zhi laughed. "When we were talking about him earlier, you were just messing on your phone the whole time."

Gu Wei nodded.

"Jiang Xun is pretty special," Fu Zhi said. "Originally, he was supposed to enter the entertainment industry. He would've had tons of connections and resources at his disposal if he chose to go in that direction, but he didn't."

"Entertainment?" Gu Wei frowned, confused. "What does he have to do with the entertainment industry?"

"Well, you already know who his little brother is. Jiang Ying had a lot of support behind the scenes when he launched his career, so he must have had some impressive backers," Fu Zhi explained. "And you know Jiang Zheng, right? The legendary actor? We all watched his movies growing up. That's their dad.

"He's got a stake in more than ten big media companies. As long as Jiang Xun and Jiang Ying didn't do anything totally heinous, they could've taken an easy road to stardom.

"So, that's why all the negative press disappeared when Jiang Xun liked that trending trailer. All these big media companies are scared to death of offending Jiang Zheng and his family."

Gu Wei was speechless. Again.

It seemed this was a meme who he couldn't afford to offend.

"Look at this," said Luo Chenxuan. He held out his cell phone. "From when Jiang Xun was a kid."

Gu Wei scooted over and took a look at the video Luo Chenxuan had loaded up. It was a clip from a television series, featuring a much younger Jiang Xun. The little reaction meme looked like he was only eleven or twelve.

The little Jiang Xun was playing the role of a young emperor, dressed in a tailored set of emperor's robes. He sat atop an imperial throne, facing a crowd that knelt before him. With a look of cold indifference on his face, he lashed out and swept a storm of papers and books off a nearby desk.

Fu Zhi said, "Awesome acting skills."

Luo Chenxuan said, "Amazing eyes."

Shi Xinyan said, "Look at that face."

Gu Wei said nothing.

Although he didn't want to admit it, the little Jiang Xun's acting ability really did far surpass his own.

"Seriously, look at that face," Luo Chenxuan echoed. "That's not a normal person's face, you can tell he was born with good genes. He acted in a lot of things when he was a kid. It was only when he grew into his rebellious stage that he got into esports instead."

"Then… weren't his parents opposed to it?" Gu Wei asked.

"Of course they were opposed." Fu Zhi said. "He was such a promising young star, suddenly snapped up by the esports world. Loads of people try to make it big in esports and end up retiring as nameless nobodies. I heard his mom was actually pretty reasonable, but his dad—well, that's the emperor of acting, Jiang Zheng. He's got one hell of a temper, and he was very opposed.