Chapter 53: I Won't Sleep With You

Gu Wei had been subjected to this 'Oh?' from Jiang Xun so many times now that a chill ran down his spine. So—

"Oh?" Gu Wei echoed.

"Then you and…" Jiang Ying gave him a suspicious look, but soon spotted the cameras behind Gu Wei, and decided to swallow back what he had been about to ask.

"The egg and tomato soup is ready," Gu Wei said, also deciding it was a good time to change the subject. "Everyone can get ready to eat."

Jiang Ying gave up his line of questioning for the time being and fetched a few bowls to start ladling out the soup.

Dinner couldn't be called extravagant, but to the guests who had been starved for a whole day, it was more than good enough. As they ate, they all gave Gu Wei their thanks.

There wasn't much to do in that little village. After dinner, the popular singer Yan Wanjuan, who hadn't helped cook, volunteered to wash the dishes. The other guests stayed at the table, snacking on sunflower seeds and chatting about this and that.

The group dynamic on the first installment of Escape Without a Trace had been way too good. Everyone meshed well and got along. But here, on Wandering With You, Gu Wei felt like he just wouldn't be able to find much to talk about with these people.

Gu Wei hadn't forgotten what his manager said about getting along with the special guest, though.

He decided to try one more time.

"Jiang Ying, I…" He wanted to try to chat with Jiang Ying about Jiang Xun's tournament.

Jiang Ying was in the middle of cracking walnuts with a little hammer. He brought the hammer down, and a walnut shattered to pieces. He looked up and said, "What?"

Gu Wei stared at him for a moment, then answered, "It's nothing."

His nemesis was really way too fierce. Besides the village goose, no one could stand up to him.

The camera crew was still filming, and they couldn't have the guests sit around talking all night. The director suggested they put on a little show or something, each playing to their strengths.

One of the guests was a comedian who decided to perform a monologue for the other guests, and the others were all sent into a laughing fit by the show. The atmosphere in the room instantly grew lighter and brighter. Another guest told a few funny personal stories. Then Ye Xiaohan performed a song from her new album, with everyone else clapping along to provide a beat.

Gu Wei listened while she sang, but his attention fell on his nemesis, who sat to his right, still cracking walnuts one by one. Jiang Ying just kept going at it until he had cracked open a whole basket of walnuts.

"Want some?" Jiang Ying offered. He was finally realizing that he may have cracked open too many walnuts. He obviously couldn't finish them all on his own, so he extended the offer to Gu Wei, sitting to his left.

"I'll have some," said Jiang Enyuan, from Jiang Ying's other side. He was already extending a hand to help himself to some of the walnuts.

"People who didn't cook and didn't help with the dishes don't get any," Jiang Ying declared. He quickly moved the plate away and split some walnuts with Gu Wei and Yan Wanjuan. To Jiang Enyuan, he said, "If you want some, crack them yourself."

Jiang Ying's tone was clearly half-joking, but Jiang Enyuan's face had taken on an ugly expression. It passed after a moment. Jiang Ying was notorious for his bad personality; some people thought he was just putting on an act and some people thought it was his real personality, but everyone expected some nastiness from him. Jiang Enyuan, on the other hand, had to maintain his warm and pleasant persona, so in the end he could only laugh a little and act like he wasn't bothered.