Chapter 72: Is My Brother With You?

"I'll head out now. If anything comes up, give me a call. We can arrange another appointment for you two." Chu Yi pulled open the door and found Gu Wei standing right outside, thoroughly dumbstruck. Chu Yi turned back around and raised his eyebrows at Jiang Xun. "This is what you get for talking nonsense. I'll leave you to smooth things over."

Gu Wei had planned on getting the hell out of there, but the door was opened from the inside before he could move.

Chu Yi smiled warmly at him and said, "Gu Wei, believe me when I say people have the ability to heal themselves. Once you get to the root of this problem, you'll start to get better."

"I got it," Gu Wei promised.

He would look for that root. For himself, and for Jiang Xun.

"Go on. We're leaving soon too," Jiang Xun said. After Chu Yi departed, Jiang Xun led Gu Wei back into the underground parking lot. "It's already dark. I'll make sure you get home in time for your livestream."

Gu Wei now knew that Jiang Xun had brought him to the club just so he could meet with Chu Yi for a counseling session. It wasn't anything like what Gu Wei had dreaded. Chu Yi didn't ask him any difficult questions or pry into subjects Gu Wei didn't want to think about. He only had a light and easy conversation with Gu Wei, and he only asked Gu Wei to draw some pictures.

It seemed a few strokes of the pencil and some light conversation could start to crack open the tightly sealed doors to his heart.

"Did you hear?" Jiang Xun asked. "What I said."

Gu Wei came back to his senses. "What do you want me to say?"

He had just been teased and taught a lesson not too long ago. He was afraid to say he'd heard, but he also didn't dare lie and say he hadn't.

"Whatever you want," Jiang Xun said. "To me, it doesn't make a difference."

Gu Wei was silent for a moment.

"I won't cry so easily," Gu Wei declared earnestly. "All the times you… well, I never cried."

Jiang Xun ignored him, which was rare; he almost never ignored anything Gu Wei said. He opened the car door for Gu Wei instead, and simply said, "Get in."

In the dead of night, Jiang Xun drove them away from the club and headed towards the outskirts of the city.

"Where did you live in the past?" Jiang Xun asked as he drove.

Gu Wei thought back and recited the name of a rather remote place. Then he said, "Gu Cai and Ling Yixuan divorced when I was really little."

This was the first time Jiang Xun had heard Gu Wei utter the name Ling Yixuan, but the name wasn't unfamiliar to him. Twenty years ago, Ling Yixuan had been a fairly famous dancer in H City. But eventually she started to perform less, and her fame faded away as well. Jiang Xun vaguely recalled hearing somewhere that she'd remarried a few years ago.

That was everything Jiang Xun knew about Ling Yixuan.

But with that connection brought to light, Jiang Xun could only assume Gu Wei's dancing abilities had something to do with his mother. Jiang Ying had also once mentioned that Gu Wei had the choreography skills of a professional.

"You lived with your mother?" Jiang Xun asked.

Gu Wei nodded. "I didn't find out that I had a father who was a screenwriter until my third year of middle school. It was around the time of my high school entrance exams. My mom met someone else, and nobody wanted me, so Gu Cai appeared and asked if I wanted to move to H City with him. The first time I met him, I thought he was some sort of con artist."