Chapter 21: Better to Hire a Pro

This question… this third question… landed squarely in the blind spot of Gu Wei's knowledge base.

The jig was up. Who was it that said fans didn't need to pass a test to be fans? Gu Wei had had less than ten minutes to celebrate his escape from Jiang Xun's clutches, and already he was being tested.

Being a fake fan had been nice while it lasted. Now, Gu Wei was dead meat.

He had collected so many Jiang Xun memes, and yet his esports knowledge was still… lacking.

What was an 'elimination count'? This sort of question… if Gu Wei didn't know the answer, could he guess?

The host was looking at him, waiting for his answer. Even Jiang Xun was looking his way with an encouraging, expectant expression. And the cameramen had their lenses pointed straight at Gu Wei.

Good luck, Gu Wei. You can do it. Give your answer. Say it loud and clear.

Gu Wei frantically racked his brain, trying to remember any keywords he had seen in recently trending topics. Especially ones relating to numbers—

Jiang Xun.

World champion.

Team TMW.

Seven consecutive wins.

That had to be it. Seven.

"Your answer?" the host prompted.

"...seven. Seven?" Gu Wei ventured cautiously. He eyed the host nervously, trying to gauge what the reaction would be. Just a trickle of a hint of a reaction would have been enough.

Netizens often said anti-fans could shame Gu Wei for his personality, but even anti-fans would never be able to find any flaws in his looks. That was true. When he gazed at people with those peach-petal eyes of his, he was incredibly alluring.

But at a time like this, even if Gu Wei could guess what reaction was coming, it would be of no use to him.

The host said nothing for a long moment.

This was no trickle. It was a flood.

The cameramen were silent as well.

They were also avid esports fans, and they had no ideas what to say to an answer like that. All they knew was that they had to dedicate one camera to Gu Wei and one to Jiang Xun. Their reactions in the coming moments would surely be priceless footage.

Jiang Xun, too, was silent.

Gu Wei made an inquisitive sound.

Had he given the right answer? Or the wrong answer? Was he dead meat now? Or would he live to see another day?

The host, wearing a mournful expression, finally said, "No, no that's incorrect. It's two hundred and nineteen."

It was the MVP of the world championship tournament, after all. What kind of achievement would seven kills be?

Now, it was Gu Wei's turn to be rendered speechless.

He hadn't even gotten close.

Was Jiang Xun really that powerful? It sounded like nonsense to him.

It was really over, then. His cover of being Jiang Xun's diehard fan had just been blown to smithereens.

Jiang Xun led him off to the side, away from the cameras. "What was that? Didn't you say you were my fan?"

"I…"

"Explain," Jiang Xun demanded.

It wasn't going to be so easy to fool him this time.