Chapter 91: Meant to Be

In a certain ancient city, constructed as a film set, a xianxia period movie was being shot.

"Three, two, one…" A member of the crew counted down. "Okay, up you go!"

Gu Wei, dressed in ancient robes, soared through the air, suspended on wires. As described in the stage directions, he flipped in midair and brandished his sword. He swung his blade with a flourish as his robes fluttered all around him. While flying, he delivered his lines.

All the surrounding background actors fell to the ground at the director's command, and Gu Wei gracefully came to a steady, stable stop in midair.

"Good, that's a keeper." The director was extremely satisfied with that take. "Great energy in the eyes, good movements. Once we add the special effects in post, it'll be perfect."

With his background as a dancer, Gu Wei picked up all the stunts with ease. He was good-looking as well, and his acting skills were advancing at the speed of light. The movie's director was typically very strict with his actors. Not only did he have high expectations for their stunts, he forbade them from dubbing in lines after recording. But this director was consistently impressed by Gu Wei's work.

"We don't have any scenes for you in the afternoon," the director said. "Go get some rest."

"Here, wipe your sweat." Gu Wei's assistant Mu Yue handed him a towel. "Want some water?"

The pressure from the harness that had kept Gu Wei in the air left behind some pain. Gu Wei stumbled a few steps when his feet touched the ground again. After steadying himself, he took the towel and wiped at the sweat on his cheeks.

His character in this movie wasn't the main character; he didn't have many scenes or many lines. But every time this character appeared, he flew in gracefully, as though he were as light as a feather. Which meant in nine out of ten of Gu Wei's scenes, he was lifted into the air on wires.

According to his manager, this was a very desirable role. Although it wasn't a leading role, and although it was hard work acting out these scenes, this character was well-liked and the character's actor was sure to gain fans. Gu Wei would certainly advance his career if he did a good job here.

"Didi, the assistant director was just praising you. He said your acting skills have been showing a lot of rapid improvement, and you're very agile," Mu Yue said. She handed Gu Wei a bottle of mineral water. "He said your delivery wasn't quite up to par during your audition, but you've really gotten much better."

"I still need lots of practice," Gu Wei said, smiling. "I'm a long way behind everyone else."

"You're already doing great," Mu Yue reassured, wishing he wouldn't be so modest. "You're not even twenty yet. Your potential is boundless."

Gu Wei could tell that his acting skills truly had improved.

He'd once told Jiang Xun he liked acting, and Jiang Xun had promised to find him a teacher. In truth, Gu Wei had forgotten all about that promise, and he'd never imagined Jiang Xun would actually find someone for him.

With the legendary movie star Jiang Zheng teaching him, how could Gu Wei not improve?

Three months ago, at the end of T.ATW's concert tour, Jiang Xun brought Gu Wei home for acting lessons.

Jiang Xun's father Jiang Zheng was thrilled. His son Jiang Xun was mired in esports, and his other son Jiang Ying only cared about the gossip and scandals in the entertainment industry. Finally, they had someone in their family who genuinely cared about acting. It was only natural that Jiang Zheng eagerly taught Gu Wei everything he knew.