☾ 9

_____________
My dream isn't to become the 'best'; it's to be someone who I'm not ashamed to be
____________

"Listen here...", Jake began, crossing his hands over his legs, leaning forward as he spoke. I also leaned forward, moving off from the wall as I keenly peeled my ears.

"Look I'm not trying to pry into anything here, I'm just looking out for my best friend so hear me out. Sunghoon, he's a soft kid, yeah he looks all tough and confident on the outside but he's a shy, soft kid on the inside. He's way different when you get to know him on a personal..well emotional level and you'll find that out for yourself soon but what I'm trying to say is, he's not what you think he is so please treat him well."

What? Why is he telling me this? 'You'll find that out soon', what does he mean by that??

"Yeah, I know you both are rivals in figure skating but why should that stop you from being friends? I'm not trying to force you into anything here I'm just being...how should I put it? I'm just trying to help. Just try looking past the obvious for once and maybe you'll understand, but I guess it's too early for that since it's just getting started." He said the last line with a chuckle which was followed by a grin.

"I'm so sorry- you're probably confused but just don't tell anyone I told you this, okay?" He explained, brushing off the back of him as he got up from sitting down on the dusty cement wall.

I stared into space as I processed everything that Jake just told me. Why did he tell me this? I don't know but I guess he's not wrong on one thing. There's nothing wrong with being mutual friends with him.

-back to present time-

"You're afraid of rats?" Sunghoon asked in a chuckle, laughing at how I reacted a couple minutes ago.

"What if it bit me and I got some kind of disease?!" I relayed, looking around me at my feet as I walked behind him down the stairs. "Though some of them might look so tiny and cute, who knows what dangerous diseases they carry!" I exclaimed in an uneasy tone still afraid of the rat who was long gone.

Sunghoon just softly groaned, agreeing to the point I just made.

"So, why did you want to meet me here?" I was walking beside him as we made our way towards the stands. After remembering what Jake told me I felt a bit more comfortable with him.

"It's just..." He breathed out, hesitant to continue speaking. Though there was silence between us, it wasn't that awkward anymore. "I thought you might need some practice from me, the true professional at skating." I noticed his tone did a drastic 180 change, now sounding much more in a playful manner than how gentle and tentative it was a moment ago.

"Says the kid who got beaten by me twice." Instead of causing an unnecessary fuss I went along with his playful act. "But sure, why not."

He jolted his head up, looking at me in awe. "Really?" He questioned, insightful, not actually expecting me to agree. I nodded with a smile, getting up from the bench to get my skates that were further up, left on the bench closer to the rink. He disappeared somewhere, coming back with a pair of skates of his own, quickly putting them on.

"Ready Princess?" He asked, outstretching his hand for me to take it but I just shook my head with a pretentious grin, picking myself up with my own arms. "I can help myself, thank you, and what did I tell you about calling me Princess?" I muttered, making my way towards the ice.

"Like I said, it's cute-" he mumbled in a low tone but I still heard it perfectly clear but said nothing in response because I was too shy to respond to that remark. I seriously don't know if he's playing with me or being sincere but then again why would he be sincere to me?