Engagment Dinner

Y/N POV-

The perfect engagement dinner is something I've never thought about, to be totally honest I've never even thought about a wedding.

I know most people think about growing up they picture the tuxes and the white dresses but isn't the idea of standing up in front of hundreds of people confessing love to the whole world a little pointless when the only person who needs to know is the person you actually love.

A few rings and a legal piece of paper isn't love nor is it the be-all and end-all. One in four marriages ends in divorce. 70% of married Americans cheat at least once in their marriage.

So, what I'm saying is a lot of people assume marriage means in sickness and in health, a vow to be loyal and a promise to love someone for the rest of their life and more often than not they break those promises so in conclusion what's the point ?

In my opinion, it's a waste of money.

However, despite my lack of knowledge on the engagement dinner topic, I do know that inviting your ex-girlfriend is a bad idea. Inviting your 'dirty mistress' however, is undoubtedly one hundred thousand times worse and yet I'm still going.

I'm calling it self-torture, at least if I'm hurting myself I have control over the hurt, right?

"You know you really didn't have to cancel your date to come with me," I say as I twirl around showing off my outfit to my date.

"Don't even worry about it... wow you look hot," Maria complements.

"Too hot, inappropriately hot or just hot enough?" I ask self-consciously.

"You know I don't ask questions about your personal life because it's none of my business but naturally I kinda pick up on things so I know this night isn't going to be easy on you but for the record, you look incredible, just the right amount of hot," she smiles sweetly.

"Well thank you for not asking questions because I can not begin to describe to you everything that's happened," I laugh in an attempt to brush off the embarrassing self-reminder of the chaos I've caused.

"Okay we're going to make the most of tonight, I won't ask questions and I won't pry but if you do want to talk, you can," she smiles.

"Thank you."

"No worries," she nods.

"I asked you to drop your plus one for me I'm so sorry."

She laughs, "Y/N you saved me from an awkward date with someone I don't know all that well. You need me and I'm more than happy to be here for you, friends are friends for a reason."

I take in a deep breath as I nod my head, "if you're sure."

"I'm sure," she says sternly a light hint of playfulness in her tone.

"Well if I've not mentioned it already, you look incredible," I compliment her.

Maria smooths over her red dress cut just above her knee "I'm glad you like it."

I look between the two of us noticing that we'd unintentionally coordinated, my red lace bodysuit somehow being just the right shade of red to match her dress. Of course, I cover such a scandalous piece with black tight black tapered trousers and naturally, a matching blazer.

"Look at us all matching," she laughs after having also noticed our coordination.

"I can change if you'd like," I offer.

She shakes her head, "no don't I like this colour on you."

"Thank you. So, are you ready to go?" I ask.