Chapter 11: Death Machine

(Little song cause why not)

Esdeath's Pov

After going to the northern tribes to put down a rebellion I am sitting here watching their so called "hero" lick my boot like an animal, how pathetic. A true warrior would fight to the death and die, accepting that they were weaker than their opponent, not grovel at their feet like a mut.

While this was happening I was receiving a report from one of the Three Beasts, Liver to be specific, he was telling me about what has been happening while we were away. Apparently there is a group of assassins killing people in the capital, they are called Night Raid and the prime minister and emperor want them dead.

I am not an incompetent person so I know that the reasons these bandits are not fighting in the open is they do not posses the strength to win in a straight fight, that only means I will have to smoke them out and pick them off. While already formulating my strategy Liver said something else that caught my interest.

"On the same day as a suspected double assassination by Night Raid a firearm manufacturer was blown up entirely, I think you will find this interesting General, eyewitness reports a pillar of black flames rising hundreds of feet into the air from the building and when officials went inside the area where the pillar came from was completely gone. Even the metal from the machine that were once there were turned to dust."

Now that is an interesting development, I don't recall any imperial arms that make black flames, could it be an existing one someone got to evolve in some way? It is impossible to know yet but I am certainly interested.

"Is there any affiliation with Night Raid?"

Liver nodded and spoke

"We do not know ma'am, the fact that it was on the same night that Night Raid attacked is suspicious and even though intelligence has long suspected Night Raid of trying to soften the imperial leaders up for a rebellion they have never outright attacked any military infrastructure like this. There has also only been one other case of black flames being reportedly seen, around 8 months ago a trafficking building was burnt down and reports of black flames were told to us."

Hmmmm, so it is likely this person is at least working towards a similar goal to Night Raid but maybe not together, I am interested in this black flames though. I wonder if that person will be a worthy opponent, I cant wait to get back to the capital now!

"Liver do they have a name for this person with black flames?"

"Yes General, the official government code name for him is The Assassin of Black, but in some recent smaller scale incidents suspected to be the work of the same person a solider reported seeing someone flying away using some kind of wings and now the soldiers are calling them "The Angel of Death"."

Both are good names; I wonder if this Assassin of Black will cower and lick my boots once I capture them? What will their screams sound like, what is their imperial arms? I have so many questions, I wonder if they are strong. I have been thinking about love, it would be impossible for me to love a weak person, if this person is truly strong we would make the best couple. I just have to beat them down and see how strong they are.

"Ok, Liver bury the rest alive. We are going back to the capital immediately, tell the other we set off in the morning."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Weeks Later

Rimuru's Pov

It has been a rough time for the rest of Night Raid after Sheele died, in the time I was with them I didn't really talk to her much but she was nice. She did remind me of a less violent humbler version of Shion but I was definitely not close with her. After Mine came back injured and told us what happened, I opted to get some distance from the others. It wouldn't be right for me the grieve with them when she was their family and she was an acquaintance of mine.