Chapter 18

Enjoy!

I felt as if my heart would jump out of my throat as I heard the gun shots fired from behind us.

"Get down !" Lilly yelled in a authoritative voice as she pushed my head down on the cold hard surface of the van. I couldn't control my breathing as I started to hyperventilate from fear.

He's here. He's going to get me again.

"Fuck how did they find us so fast?!" I hear Mason yell beside me with his head down as he cocked his gun.

"They are the cartel after all. What did you expect?" Lilly says before cocking her gun as well. "Step on it!" I hear her yell to the driver.

A moment later I felt a jerk while the van accelerated down the road as it roared louder and louder. The sound of the bullets being shot at us seemed to sound as though they were getting farther and farther away as we sped  down the road. I felt the van jerk as we turned around a corner. The smell of burned rubber filling my nostrils as we continued our escape. I dare not move from where I was afraid that I would possibly get hit with one of those bullets being shot at us.

"I think we lost them, I don't see anyone following us anymore," Mason says after what feels like a life time.

It's only a matter of time before he finds me again...

I felt a hand on my head as I peer up to see a pair of green eyes looking down at me. "Are you okay?" He asks with a puzzled look.

I don't say anything I just nod as my breathing slowed down. His touch always has a way of calming me down. I turn around off the ground and wrap my arms around his torso as I bury my face in his chest. I could smell a hint of his sweet Cologne mixed in with his sweat and natural male scent.

I could feel him wrap his arms around me soon after as he whispered sweet nothings into my ear. I felt my heart rate begin to beat normally as I let out a low sign.

"I promise I won't let him touch you ever again," he whispered with finality as he squeezed me a little tighter. His words of affirmation should have made me feel better. But, that bit of worry still sat at the bottom of my stomach and slowly started to grow again. Alejandro already took my dad away from me. I couldn't bear the thought of him hurting anyone else I cared about.

"We are going to stop somewhere and lay low for a bit," Lilly said from behind breaking the silence.

I broke away from Gio, almost forgetting where we were, just realizing that Gio's supposedly dead wife was sitting behind us.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea? Won't that give them time to find us like before?" Mason argues.

"If we stay out in the open it will give them more of a chance to find us. Vargas has spies everywhere. We need to lay low for a while, give time to cool down. That's when we will make our move for the boarder," Lilly explains.

"Wait, we are going back to the states? Why didn't you say that earlier?! We could have gone to my jet-" Gio starts but was immediately interrupted.

"Don't bother Vargas has already confiscated your jet. Even killed your two pilots in the process. And it's too risky to try and reclaim it," Lilly said holding her hand up.

"Fuck! So we are just suppose to sit here and do nothing ?!" Gio boils. I could tell his anger was starting to get the best of him.

"We are not doing NOTHING, I'm keeping you all alive," Lilly grits out as she stared daggers at Gio. They were now face to face. And by the looks of it I couldn't tell if they were about to fight...or kiss.

Probably kiss..

My stomach instantly dropped at the thought. Anyone could tell that they still loved each other. It was just a matter of time before they acted on it.

He would chose her...I'll have no place in his heart. 'We' won't have a place..

Gio then scoffs and looks away. Not wanting to argue anymore it seems. Lilly then let's out a low puff of air from her lips. "Jared find us a place to stay for the night,"

"Yes ma'm" the guy said riding shot gun upfront.

I couldn't help but notice the negative energy surrounding us in the van and it seemed to just get worse and worse and the time passed. It honestly was starting to make me mad. I kept quiet though until we reached our destination.

We ended up finding a hostel to stay at that took cash that way we wouldn't have to worry about leaving a trail. We got two rooms right next to each other. Gio Mason and I shared one room while Lilly and the two other agents shared the other. Mason has just left to get some food at the vending machine down the way.

I sat down on the bed next to Gio who seemed to be staring out in space.

"Gio?"

No response.

"Gio?"

Still nothing.

"Gio!" I half yell.

He finally blinked and looked my way. "Yes?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I knew I was going to regret saying this but it needed to be said.

"Go to her." I whispered.

He looked at me with confusion. "What?"

I send him a small smile. "Stop denying it. You still love her. She was the love of your life. You thought she was dead and she clearly isn't. And by the looks of it she still has feelings for you too."

He opened his mouth and closed it like a fish as he look down at his lap. He knew I was right.

"Go to her. Ask your questions. Get the closure that you need..." I say as I put my hand atop of his.

He looked at me for a few seconds before nodding as he got up from the bed. He went for the door but before he left he turned and gave me one more look.

"I love you Calina," he said with all the love in his eyes that he could muster up.

I send him a small smile. "I know," I whisper.

He then turns his back and leaves the room.

I then fall back on the bed. "I love you too..." I croak between sobs as I slowly start to feel my heart shatter to pieces.

Author note:

Thank you all for patiently waiting! Finally finished this chapter! I know it's been a minute. The next one will come sooner I promise! As always don't forget to vote, share, comment, and follow for more updates 😊❤️