Chapter 19: In the Eye of the Storm

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

~Ben's POV~

Bright, green light pierced the darkness of a poorly lit room, its source stemming from the screen of an open laptop. Small electric currents occasionally danced and flickered around the edges as a low, distant voice could be heard from within it.

"-oesn't even show up. Who does he think I am? Some dumb, attentive bellboy? No!" The voice grew louder and clearer as a single, pale hand reached out from the screen. Shortly after, a blonde head with a green cap followed suit. Crimson red eyes briefly scanned the nearby floor in search of a clear landing.

As much as he'd hate to admit it, Jack was kind of right . . . He really should tidy his room up a bit.

Ben rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue in annoyance. Whatever. Ben's figure suddenly transformed into a ball of bright, green spectral light and floated to the spot beside his desk. In an instant, the light transformed into his body. "Ain't no way in hell I'm just gonna stand there all day with nothing to do except wait," he grumbled.

The green-cladded figure casually dusted himself off before suddenly stiffening. Something seemed off. It felt as if . . . he wasn't alone.

A low chuckle confirmed his suspicions.

"Well, what do you know? That eyeless creep really is still sneaking out."

Ben instinctively flinched in surprise. He then slumped his shoulders. It just had to be Jeff, didn't it? He silently cursed to whatever cruel and ironic god was out there before turning to face Jeff, forcing a small smile on his face.

Jeff had been casually leaning against the front door, his arms crossed impatiently in front of his chest. Ben had no idea how long the pale-faced creep had been waiting there for, but he knew it was long enough to have noticed his reappearance.

"Uh, who?" Ben feigned ignorance. "I was just waiting in a lobby for some player to get on. Obviously, he was a no-show, so I gave up on waiting."

Ben silently thanked all those countless hours he spent playing traitor-type games. It really honed his ability to lie quickly. After all, lying was what kept him out of trouble from all the childish pranks he pulled on others.

Jeff's features, however, remained stoic. It didn't seem like he was believing a single thing Ben was saying . . .

After a few seconds of silence, Jeff pushed himself off the door's surface, uncrossing and stuffing his hands into his sweatshirt pocket. "You know," he started as he looked off to the side in thought, "it's been a pretty long time since anyone here got themselves into some serious 'accident' with some serious injuries. Like-" Jeff subsequently took out a knife from his hood's pocket and grinned, casting his gaze back onto Ben "-one where Jack would probably have to be there to help fix them up a bit."

Ben could feel his own face drop. Fuuuuck. So, he really did know that Jack's been going AWOL . . . No wonder it's been sort of peaceful around here lately.

Ben furrowed his eyebrows and stared at Jeff. It wasn't that he was scared of Jeff; Ben was practically immune to most of his attacks, what with being some sort of poltergeist and all. But if Jeff decided to attack one of the other residents whose human nature would very much make them susceptible to, say, a deep knife wound that Jack would have to tend to, then, yeah, Ben figured it wouldn't take long for Slender to figure out what's been going on either.

"All right," a tight smile crept onto Ben's face as he held his hands up in mock surrender. "No need to get so hasty now."

Jeff flipped the knife and caught it in midair with a single motion of his hand before sliding it back into his pocket.