Chapter 3: Girl's Night Out

­­Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

Side note: (h/l) - hair length, (h/c)- hair color

As morning approached, the bright, warm sun began to rise, illuminating the forest and bringing to life the once cold and dull sky. And, as it ascended, many of its glistening rays started to shine through the window of your so-called room, some even managing to shine on your face, rousing you from your slumber.

Ughhhhhh. You lifted a hand over your head to shield your eyes from the abrupt brightness. What time is it? Wait, what am I talking about? I don't even have a clock here . . . Better question: what day is it? You lowered your arm and shifted away from the window, closing your eyes in thought. Let's see . . . Yesterday was . . . Friday? So that means today should be Saturday? . . . Good. I get the whole house to myself today.

Not only were Saturdays your favorite since they marked the beginning of the weekend, but they also meant that both your parents were at work for the entire day! The only downside was that you were practically forced to clean the whole house by yourself–or else–but you didn't mind too much. As long as neither of them were there, you were happy to be left home alone cleaning.

Welp, guess I should start to get up now . . . You inhaled deeply, holding your breath as you stretched your hands over your head. After that feeling of euphoria that can only come from a successful stretch, you let your arms go limp over your head. You then groggily tried to open your eyes again, squinting against the sunlight that was still glaring at you. It took a bit for you to regain your eyesight, but, eventually, you were able to see clearly around your room. You truly loathed the lengthy amount of time it always took you to finally see in the mornings, but, each time, you merely chalked it up to the monster that is fatigue.

After staring at the ceiling with a blank face for several minutes, you finally decided to get out of bed, regrettably unveiling yourself from the warmth and comfort of the blanket you were wrapped in. You then lazily got out a pair of clean, folded clothes to change into later and climbed down the ladder from the attic, making your way towards the bathroom.

As you passed by the bathroom mirror, you abstractedly cast a glance towards it, causing you to do a slight double take at your reflection. You looked yourself over in the mirror languidly. Man, you looked like a mess. You had a subtle case of bed head, your (h/l), (h/c) locks looking disheveled and sloppy. Small dark circles were starting to form around your eyes, signaling that you hadn't been receiving sufficient sleep as of late. You decided to inspect your arms and legs. You were quite satisfied to discover that most of the bruises from previous "incidences" with your father had faded away. No need to be extra careful with hiding your arms then . . . Well, for a fleeting moment at least.

Seeing yourself in such an unsightly state made you want to take a shower before undertaking your chores. Plus, you hadn't freshened up in a while, and you kind of wanted to get rid of that gross, greasy feeling.

After taking a short shower and changing out of your PJs, you grabbed a plastic bag and started collecting empty bottles of beer and whatever kind of alcohol your parents had brought home to drink from around the house. Recycling was the only way to supply yourself with money. Your mother never cared enough to give you any and you didn't dare ask Robert for a dime. After recycling, you proceeded to complete your basic chores, such as sweeping and washing the dishes.

Just as you were about to finish drying the last plate, a knock at your door sounded, startling you. You were confused and suspicious of whom that could possibly be. There was no reason for anyone to be visiting this house. You sneakily made your way towards the door and curiously peered through the peephole. What you saw pleasantly surprised you . . .

It was Lily!

Lily was your best, and only, friend from school. The two of you instantly became pals the first day you attended school. You had no idea what possessed her to start talking to you of all people—a lone quiet girl—but you were glad she did. Lily was an energetic, smart, and overall positive girl. She had curly, light brown hair that was always up in a ponytail in an attempt to contain her chaotic locks, sun-kissed skin, and a slim body. Lily was even the reason that you were into reading books, always recommending some of her favorite titles and discussing the plot whenever she saw you reading them.

Wait, but, why is she here? She always asked ahead of time if she could come to visit or hang out . . . You shrugged and then opened the door to greet Lily. You were basically done with all your duties anyway.

"Hey, (Y/n)!" Lily exclaimed, smiling at you.

"Hey, Lily. Um, not to be rude or anything, but what brings you here? I mean, like, all of a sudden."

"Oh, I just wanted to take you out today. It is a Saturday after all. Besides, my parents gave me a generous amount of money—" she leaned in and winked, nudging your elbow with hers "—and basically gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted in town. I asked them if I could take you, too, and they said yeah! So it'll just be the two of us!"

You blinked in surprise. "Wow, your parents actually did that? Why?"

Upon hearing this question, Lily dropped her smile and started to frown a little. " . . . It doesn't matter," Lily brushed off your question. "Point is: I wanna spend time with you." Lily's smile returned. "Pwease?" She gave you her best puppy-dog face, resting her chin on top of her clenched hands.

You craned your head to the right to check the clock which hung on the wall beside you. It read ten minutes 'til noon. You were stunned that you had finished your chores so swiftly; it usually took at least a few more hours. Nonetheless, you looked back at a still-pleading Lily and beamed.

"Oh, all right. How can I say no to you with a face like that?" you conceded, agreeing to "a girl's night out."

"Yesss!" Lily shouted, bouncing up and down with innocent joy. "We're gonna have sooo much fun! I already have most of the day planned out!"

And, with that, Lily took your hand and hauled you from your home, eager to show you a splendid time.