Chapter 18: Too Late

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

Side note: (Y/T/N)- your town name

"What?" you softly uttered, a single phrase repeating itself over and over as you tried to wrap your mind around the sudden news. Lily . . . is dead? Lily is dead. Lily is dead?!

Your hands started shaking as you tried to push back the lump that was forming in your throat. "T-tell me what happened."

"(Y/n), are you sure?" Jack asked, concerned.

You swallowed hard. "I n-need to know what happened . . . Please."

You closed your eyes as Jack sighed and hesitantly read the letter:

Dear (Y/n),

We regret to inform you, especially in this manner, that Lily has passed away. It happened the day she received her driver's license. We trusted her enough to drive herself to visit you. She wanted nothing more than to see you again, and we thought it would be appropriate if she went as a way to celebrate. If we had known what would come of it, we can assure you we wouldn't have let her go.

There was an accident involving a semi-truck. At least, that's what we were told. The driver wasn't there upon the discovery of the wreckage, making it a hit-and-run situation. And, as for Lily, we were told that she had died upon impact.

Cause of death: brain herniation.

We thought you should know since you were her closest friend, despite being miles apart. It would mean a lot to us if you could attend her burial, but we understand if you don't feel comfortable being in that type of environment with people you don't know. We have decided to bury her in (Y/T/N) Cemetery since it's where she grew up, and it would be easier for you to visit.

Again, we understand if you decide not to come. Our thoughts and prayers will go out to you regardless.

Sincerely, Lily's parents, Mr. & Mrs. Graceson

A few minutes of pure silence passed by before Jack spoke out. " . . . (Y/n)?"

You kept your eyes shut as you hung your head down low, your hands curled into fists to prevent them from shaking. You bit the inside of your cheek and raised your head a bit before you decided to ask what was on your mind. "Wh-when is the funeral?" you spoke out hoarsely.

You heard Jack shuffle through the letter, finally settling on what you assumed was the invitation.

"Two weeks . . . ago."

Two weeks ago? You brought your hands up to your head in distress as you stared devastated at the ground. All this time . . . All this time I've had that letter . . . All this time Lily's been dead?! You shook your head with your eyes shut tight. What kind of a friend am I? I didn't even know . . . I couldn't even be there . . . I-I couldn't even be there for her.

Without thinking, you started to run towards the front door; however, a firm grip on your wrist suddenly kept you from reaching your goal. You whipped your head around as tears started to form at the corner of your eyes.

"Let go of me, Jack," you cried out pleadingly. "I need to go see her!"

"(Y/n), what are you thinking? You can barely see anything right now. It's dangerous to just run out into the streets."

"I know where I'm going. I'm not completely helpless . . . "

"But you don't know where she'll be . . . You'll just be looking aimlessly," Jack tried to reason.