Chapter 7: Broken

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)  

You sluggishly roused from your state of unconsciousness. The residual pain from your encounter with your father last night left your body sore. You just knew that your skin would be blotted with bruises.

You couldn't tell what time of day it was, and you didn't feel like getting up, so you kept your eyes closed and your body still. You knew, however, that you had to get up and tend to your latest injuries.

Ooooookay, you thought while taking in a deep breath. A sharp pain radiated from your left side. Ow, okay, that hurt. Your entire body burned with soreness, but you continued taking slow, deep breaths to get yourself used to the sharp tingling sensations. If just breathing hurt, you were definitely not looking forward to what would happen when you tried getting up.

Just one step at a time, right?

You opened your eyes first, but you still couldn't see anything in front of you. Panic seized your body, running up and down your spine like lightning. In a desperate attempt to hold yourself together, you scrambled for a reason the world was still black.

Maybe it's just some swelling that won't let me open my eyes? Yeah . . . that sounds logical enough.

Whatever the case, you figured you should take proper stock of your injuries in the bathroom. You'd have to navigate around the house with only your memory to guide you, but you were no quitter. You gritted your teeth and lifted yourself from the floor, instinctively grabbing at the wall so as to not lose your footing.

As you made your way blindly to the bathroom, you were quite thankful for having a knack of where you were without actually "seeing" where you were. Eventually, you reached the bathroom with success. You didn't know whether to take another shower or just wash your face. You lifted your hands and felt around your tender skin, from your forehead to your cheeks to the creases beneath your eyes, to get an idea of how bad your condition was. Compared to previous "incidents," this one took the cake, and you could even feel something crusty on your forehead.

Is that . . . blood?

You opted to just take a light shower.

After washing yourself off, you could feel the swelling die down a little, though you decided to still keep your eyes shut until the swelling was completely gone. You grabbed some medicine you saved in the bathroom for cases like these and started to tend to your injuries. You even managed to make your way to the kitchen to get some ice for the swelling and bruises.

After some time, the swelling died down enough for you to finally open your eyes. You slowly opened each eyelid, only to see your surroundings caked in a heavy blur. Panic ran through your body again as you had never experienced blurry vision as strong as this. You blinked a few times in hopes of restoring your sight . . .

But nothing changed.

You couldn't​ even make out solid shapes! They were just . . . colored blurred spots!

Mmaybe it's only temporary? Yeah . . . I'm sure that I'll be . . . better in . . . no . . .

You ceased your silly thoughts and crumpled to the floor, your cheeks wet with fresh tears. Who were you kidding? You should've seen this coming. All throughout your life, you've pulled the short end of the stick. Feeling defeated, you decided to retrieve the stuff Lily bought for you at the mall yesterday. It hadn't even been a full day yet and you already missed her so much.

You stumbled around for a while, first finding the bag and then trying to find the spot that led to your room in the attic. You had to use your hands to feel your surroundings. You bumped your head on the ceiling as you climbed up.