Chapter 14: A Rainy Day

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

"Do you want to go out?"

"W-what?" What is he saying?!

Jack gestured out the kitchen window. "Outside."

" . . . Ohhhh," you drawled out. You felt stupid for thinking he might have meant something else . . . but you were also excited by his suggestion! This would be your first time going out for a leisurely walk in the forest since the whole eyesight incident started.

"Yeah," you nodded with eagerness. "Let me just get my shoes on really quick."

You placed the MP3 player on the counter while you searched for your shoes. You found them strewn by the front door, where you usually kicked them off. You slipped them on and met back up with Jack who was snooping around the mail you had placed on the counter.

"Okay, I'm ready," you told him, sliding the player into your pocket. He stopped messing around with the mail and strolled over to the back door, holding it open for you.

"After you." He gave a little bow.

You slightly rolled your eyes at him, giving him a small shake of your head as well. As you fully stepped outside, you could feel a cool breeze sweep its way through your (h/l) (h/c) hair. You took a deep breath in, cherishing the scents from the woods up ahead. The sky was riddled with clouds, making it a bit chilly, but you didn't mind; it felt refreshing.

You outstretched your arms, almost as if you were going to embrace the wind, and sucked in another breath of fresh air. "I love nature!" you proclaimed at no one in particular. You let your arms fall down to your sides as Jack approached from behind.

"Heh, yeah. It's a great place to get lost in," Jack remarked, looking up at the treetops.

"I'll say," you uttered, walking in towards the forest. Jack followed suit. "For me, it's kind of like an escape. Even though it's temporary, it gives me a sense of belonging at least somewhere in the world." You leaned down and picked up a few leaves from the dirt. You found yourself running your fingers over each vein as if you could possibly memorize the leaves' shape. "I get to forget everything that sucks in my life and just fantasize about the future. It just gives me a sense of something better. Like, uh . . . " You trail off, not quite sure how to complete your train of thought.

"Like you can start a new, better life. Right then and there."

Surprised, you looked over at Jack with a small smile. "Yeah," you answered, even though it wasn't really phrased as a question.

You continued walking mindlessly throughout the forest; the subtle sounds of nature gave you a sense of comfort. After walking for a while in silence, you noticed that Jack wasn't the one leading you through the forest; you were leading him. Well, you wouldn't really call it leading, it was more like you were subconsciously walking around, letting your feet take you to where they wanted to be.

You took some time to look around at your surroundings, wondering where your feet decided to take you. It felt . . . oddly familiar to you. You walked over to a large tree, gently placing a hand on the trunk and caressing its surface. After a while, your fingertips made out some small cuts in the bark.

Ah, I know this place . . .

You just now realized that you've been walking to your favorite spot for sunset-watching this whole time, and this tree was your tree: the tree where you would run off to whenever you had the chance to escape and feel free, the tree you carved your name into one night, claiming ownership over the one place that truly made you feel safe and sound.