Chapter 10: Nightmare

­­Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

~Your POV~

Light.

A bright white light.

It started off small but grew larger until you were fully enveloped in it. You squeezed your eyes shut and tried blocking the blinding light with your arms for a brief moment. When you opened your eyes, you found yourself in the forest behind your house. Confused, you warily stepped into the woods.

It was unusually bright outside, yet it felt tranquil. The trees you walked past were unfamiliar. A figure stood with its back facing towards you in the distance.

"Lily? Lily! Is that you?!" you called out to the figure. It had to be. Only she had those luscious curly locks of hair that had more spring in their step than you did your entire life. You tried running towards her, but it seemed like you were going nowhere. It was as if your feet wouldn't let you leave your spot. Oblivious to your existence, Lily walked away until she was out of sight.

"No!" you cried. You reached a hand out to her, but no matter how far your fingers stretched out, you just couldn't move . . . It was then that you noticed your arms. They were covered in bruises, way more than what you typically received. You felt weak, your body heavy. You collapsed to your knees, just barely catching yourself with your hands. Excruciating pain manifested throughout your body, and tears fell down your face.

Darkness started to circle around the forest, creeping up and surrounding you. You couldn't do anything but wait for it to swallow you whole. It crawled up your limbs and neck until it completely covered your vision, encasing you in eternal pitch blackness.

There was nothing.

No brightness.

No colors.

No shapes.

A ball of dread sat on your chest so heavily you struggled to breathe. You didn't want to be in this darkness, to be alone!

Please! Someone, help me!

You tried to scream at the top of your lungs, but no sound left your mouth. It was as if the darkness consumed your entire being. After relentless attempts to scream, to reach out to someone, anyone, to end your loneliness, you fell still. You felt defeated. You let yourself drift into nowhere. It was almost calming.

Until you began to fall.

You thrashed your arms and legs in a panic. There was no ground to be seen, but you knew you'd hit it soon. You knew you would die. But before you met your demise . . .

You awoke.

* * * * *

You gasped as you woke with a startled jump. A thin layer of sweat covered your forehead. A warm light shined through your window, dancing on your blankets as it did every morning. You reached up to wipe away the sweat. Everything was still so blurry, and you knew you couldn't blink it away this time.

It really was permanent.

Rubbing your eyes, you sighed to yourself as your nightmare played on a loop in your mind. God, I wish you were here, Lily.

As you crawled your way to the bathroom, you felt dirt and debris beneath your feet. The floor was messy again. You groaned. Not only did you have to clean up your own room, but now you'd have to clean up the whole living room, too.

This was going to be a long day.

Cleaning the living room took longer than usual because you had to feel your way around everything. After finishing that chore, you retired to your bedroom and put away all the clothes that littered the floor. Thankfully, that didn't take as long.

Just as you slipped your last article of clothing into your stubby, wooden drawer, your stomach growled. Yesterday was a roller coaster of emotions, so food was the last thing on your mind. This would be the first time you would have to cook for yourself blind, and you were definitely not looking forward to that.

But fooood. Your stomach growled in response to your thoughts. Please, let there be leftovers.

It took a while, but you managed to find a wrapped-up deli sandwich in the fridge your mom probably left from work.

Ah, thank God.

You ate the whole sandwich satisfied, not caring about what was in it. Did it have pickles? Onion? You didn't care! You were starving.

Casually, you gazed out the kitchen window. With food in your belly, you had a moment to think. It was the perfect time for you to go out and watch the sunset. Only you couldn't watch them anymore . . .

~ Jack's POV~

Jack flipped through the pages of a medical book, skimming through its content until he found the section he was looking for: Eye Disorders.

He had decided to bring the book along on his "vacation" in case he got the urge for some light reading. You know, as a monster does. If Jack had to guess why (Y/n) was blind, he was pretty sure it was because of abuse from her parents. Ultimately, he settled on a chapter dedicated to Corneal Damage.

Jack could tell that (Y/n) had something wrong with her cornea, which was evident from the way her eyes looked foggy and her irises were losing their vibrancy. He looked over the causes of how damage to the cornea could occur and confirmed his suspicions. One of the reasons listed was "external trauma," which meant she definitely was abused by her parents. The hit must've been brutal to have gone as far as damaging her cornea.

Jack got a bitter taste in his mouth again. Humans were despicable. Never in his life had he felt bad for a human being. Well, not until he met (Y/n).

Jack shook his head as if he could shake the thoughts from his mind.

Her condition seemed like it was curable, the best option being a simple corneal transplant. Jack knew, however, that she would never get her eyes fixed living under that awful family.

Guess she's going to be blind the rest of her life . . .

Jack snapped the book shut with the flick of his wrist and tossed it on a nearby table. Looking outside, now seemed as good a time as ever to head over to (Y/n)'s house. The sun was still out, but he knew it would take some time to walk over.

Jack didn't really know what to take since he was just there to . . . hang out? That felt a bit weird. He had never really "hung out" with anyone before. Except maybe Ben. Did Ben count? The age-old question: can one "hang out" with someone more akin to a raccoon? Now that he thought about it, he was really reclusive . . .

Especially if his only friend was a video game character.

Jack decided to only take his scalpel. It was the one thing he wouldn't leave behind. Jack hesitated on bringing his mask, fearing that (Y/n) might bring it up, might wonder why she seemed to see a vibrant blue blur where his face should be.

Ultimately, however, he hid it in his hood's pocket and departed from the cabin.