Chapter 16: An Off Day

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

~Jack's POV~

After finally managing to get in some much-needed rest, Jack set out to conceive a plan for how he could sneak out of the mansion undetected. Since he was pretty much known for isolating himself, going unnoticed was going to be the easy part. What concerned Jack the most, though, was getting there quickly.

Sure, the thought of him sprinting there on foot had occurred to him, especially since his monstrous nature provided him with endless energy. But the distance there was still too much for him to arrive before the discovery of his absence.

There was always another option he could choose, but he knew it would take much more convincing this time . . .

Jack sighed to himself before entering the hall, heading towards Ben's room once again. As he approached the front door, Jack noticed that he didn't hear the expected clicking sounds that usually occupied Ben's room. He knocked regardless of the off chance that Ben was asleep inside, if he even does sleep.

Only silence ensued after the light knocks on the door's wooden surface. Jack waited a few beats before deciding to go inside and see what was going on.

" . . . Ben?" Jack spoke out his name as soon as he stuck his head through the door. No one was there. Jack then completely stepped inside, taking care not to trip over the mess Ben had yet to clear up. He noticed Ben's laptop was still on despite his absence, the screen occasionally flickering with currents of green and blue light.

"Ahhh, goddammit!" A glitchy scream sounded from the opened laptop, of which now had multiple currents of electricity whipping out from it. Jack sidestepped out of the way before a figure launched itself out of the screen in an electrical blur, smoke emitting from their sprawled-out body on the floor.

Ben let out an annoyed huff before picking himself off the ground. "I hate running into firewalls," he mumbled, dusting his clothes off.

Jack only gave him a perplexed look behind his mask, not quite sure how he should respond to that. Why would someone set a wall on fire?

"So, what's up Jack?" Ben casually asked, launching himself into his desk chair and spinning around a couple times before reclining. "Wanna get your ass handed to you in a game of Mario Kart?"

"Uh, no. I'm not here to play games with you today. And even if I were here to play games, I would never play that game with you again. You get way too intense when you play Mario Kart . . . "

"It's a serious game. Big Bowser. I play to win," Ben countered. Jack rolled his eye sockets, thinking back to all the times Ben would knock his character off the road into oblivion if they ever played on a certain multi-colored, yet unforgiving track.

"Well, like I was saying, I kind of need another favor from you . . . Actually, it's more of a request this time around." Jack nervously paused before continuing. "I want you to sneak me out to that cabin again . . . I don't really have any—"

"Done deal," Ben interjected.

Shocked, Jack stood in silence for a brief moment. " . . . Did— did you just agree to sneak me out without me even providing you an incentive?" Jack inspected him suspiciously behind his mask. He must be hiding something . . . No one just does something without getting anything out of it.

Ben nodded once. "Yup."

Jack squinted. "What are you really getting out of this? There's always a method to your madness."