Chapter 2: Taking a "Break"

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

Side note: (y/t/n)- your town name

~Jack's POV~

Sitting in the living room of the Slender mansion was a certain eyeless demon who was quietly reading on one of the couches, zoning out everything and everyone around him. Jack usually read in the library of the mansion or in the seclusion of his own room, but tonight was a peaceful night and he wanted to read in the living room where the couch had a pleasant view of the woods outside through a large window.

­­

At the moment, he was in the middle of reading a long passage from one of his many medical books when something suddenly struck the back end of his head.

Hard.

Jack had been so absorbed in his readings that he failed to realize that two specific residents of the mansion were fighting with one another. Based on how hard the object was thrown at him, Jack assumed that it must have been Masky who had thrown whatever it was that hit him, most likely aiming it at Toby, who, at the last second, ducked out of the way. Masky wasn't the strongest in the mansion, but he could be really tough when he wanted to be, especially when he was furious with Toby.

Jack wanted to see what had hit him, intuitively glancing down beside him where the object miraculously landed. When he discovered what it was, he shook his head with immense disappointment . . .

It was a stupid salt shaker.

Jack reached down and picked it up, raising it at face level before swiveling his head around to face the culprits. It was then that he discovered his previous assumptions were correct. Masky seemed to have frozen in place, his arm still slightly outstretched from throwing the salt shaker. His mask was on, but Jack guessed that his face resembled that of utter shock and regret. Toby stood a little ways away from where Masky was still processing his mistake. His mouth guard also covered his expression, but Jack knew that he was smirking underneath, trying not to burst out in laughter from the situation. After what felt like a long moment of intense silence, Jack slowly spoke out.

" . . . If I were you two, I'd run."

And with those few words spoken by Jack, Masky and Toby quickly ran out of the kitchen in search of safety. Normally, Jack kept his cool whenever it came to the mansion's shenanigans, trying his best to just ignore and get over whatever dumb thing just so happened to occur. Lately, however, each and every passing incident just made him grow more and more irritated. It was like he couldn't catch a break, and he had just run out of patience.

Jack placed the salt shaker, along with his book, down on the couch next to him. He then stood up from his seat and casually leapt over the couch, slowly making his way out of the living room and towards the spot where he knew both proxies would be cowering.

Whenever they would get into some sort of trouble with Jeff, Jack had shown them many isolated "hiding spots" they could retreat to so that he wouldn't have to waste his time treating and bandaging their wounds later on. Unfortunately for them, though, they weren't dealing with Jeff this time . . .

The closest hiding spot that he knew of, and had shown them, was located in the library, so Jack leisurely made his way there. And, knowing Toby, Jack assumed that he followed Masky to hide together, of which was definitely against Masky's wishes.

Idiots, Jack thought to himself as he slowly neared the mansion's library, purposefully taking his time so as to allow the proxies' false hope to build up.

Behind one of the bookshelves in the library was a secret room, which was only accessible if a certain book was pulled and triggered. Jack just so happened to discover this particular secret one day when he was bored and decided to check out what kind of books the library had. He was surprised when the whole shelf shifted to reveal a small, hidden room when he tried to pull out some book that caught his attention. Jack didn't report his new finding to Slender. It was his mansion after all; he should have already been knowledgeable about the mansion's secrets. The small room even contained a passageway that led to who-knows-where, but it had been boarded off when Jack further inspected it. Ever since then, he kept a mental note of this discovery and often used it as a means to escape the mansion's chaos for some peace and quiet.

Jack finally arrived at the library, continuing to approach the bookshelf in a callously stagnant manner. Just imagining the facial expressions the two proxies would have plastered on their faces when he caught them brought a devilish smile to his face. He grasped the spine of the book in his hands and began to pull it out far enough to open the room. The silence was fraught with suspense as the bookshelf shifted, revealing the two alarmed figures Jack was looking for. Bingo.

"Time for you two to learn a lesson," Jack growled before lunging at them both.

* * * * * * * * * *

Jack! Would you mind explaining to me as to why two of my proxies are beaten and bloodied on the floor of my library?!

Jack was reading where he last left off before the little "incident" happened when a voice sounded in his head . . . Slenderman. As Jack started to lower his book, Slender appeared before Jack, crossing his arms and waiting for Jack's response.

Jack shrugged nonchalantly, avoiding eye contact. "Must've been Jeff again."

They have already informed me that you were the one that committed this disgrace. What did you do?

"Nothing I can't fix," Jack retorted, turning his full attention back to his book.

Slender sighed and dragged a long hand over his blank face.

Jack, this is not like you to act so aggressively . . . He paused before continuing, trailing his finger across the top of the television. Upon inspection, he elegantly whipped out a pocket-handkerchief and cleansed his finger. Swiftly, he rested his hand behind his back once more, his posture perfectly straight and his stance looming. I have come to the conclusion that you need a . . . hiatus. A sort of . . . vacation away from here.

Jack stopped in surprise and finally looked up at Slender. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was Slender kicking him out of the mansion? And for only one "mistake" he'd made?! Jeff had started countless fights in the residency, and he'd never been kicked out like this! Then again, even though Jeff was the most unhinged resident in the mansion, he was still clever, always trying not to get caught in the first place. But when he did get caught, Slender had never failed to let his "disputes" go without severe punishment . . .

Still, Jack felt bitter about being kicked out of the mansion. But isn't that what he wanted? To be left alone in his own world of serenity? Yes, a "vacation" did seem quite appealing to Jack now that he was thinking about it. And, besides, there was really no way to change Slender's mind about something he was considering.

"Fine," Jack muttered reluctantly. "Where will I go?"

You will be hidden in a cabin located in an isolated forest nearby. It is by some small towns, the closest town being (y/t/n), so you can go hunting there for food if absolutely necessary. You will be leaving after you have packed and after caring for the wounds you have inflicted upon Toby and Masky.

Jack huffed in annoyance as he set his book aside and walked away from Slender, slightly regretting that he didn't hold back on the proxies. He only left himself with more work to do.

This "vacation" better not waste my time, he thought.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N): I guess Jack was a bit . . . SALTY in this chapter. AAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

Okay, I'll leave now . . .