Chapter 15: Defiance

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

~Jack's POV~

As Jack calmly read through the book (Y/n) had given him, he began to notice that she was slowly falling asleep, her eyelids fluttering shut as she struggled to keep her head above her pillow. Jack continued reading, though, not wanting to disturb her. It wasn't until he was somewhat sure that she was sound asleep that he stopped, got up from his position on the floor, and proceeded to quietly put the book away in her quaint bookshelf. He then lingered over her sleeping form before he decided to drape her blanket over her.

Jack then stepped back and sat in front of her, briefly looking her over. He internally sighed after a while. What am I doing?

He glanced over at the lonely window in the room, staring intently at the steady rainfall as thoughts began surfacing in his mind.

Slender was not going to like the fact that Jack was out for a whole day without any sort of notice. He was very adamant about knowing where Jack was at most times. He was the closest thing to a doctor for all the residents of the mansion after all. However, over the years, it had come to be exasperating: constantly having to stitch up wounds that could've been avoided if those darn proxies and that poor excuse of a powdered face psychopath weren't so reckless.

Jack let out a huff of frustration as he turned his head away from the window, trying to avert his attention to something—anything—else.

His eyes then fell back on (Y/n)'s unconscious body, her chest never wavering to rise beneath the thin, weathered blanket with every gentle breath she took. Jack studied her features as if he were examining an illustration in one of his medical textbooks. She seemed to personify serenity itself as she slept, her bruises starting to fade away as if they were nothing but a bad dream. Even now, they were already far less pronounced than they were back when he first laid his eyes on her. After all that she had been through—of which Jack could only imagine was a lot for any human to have to endure in their life—she didn't look half bad; she possessed a remarkable inner strength and beauty that Jack had come to admire.

Jack shook his head and shifted his attention away from (Y/n). What was he thinking? She was just a human, just something to distract himself with while getting out of the mansion.

(Y/n) suddenly stirred, making Jack look over at her again for a brief moment.

"Just a human . . . "

Jack groaned and ran a hand through his hair. Even though he was usually awake at nights, he couldn't help but feel a bit tired. Being with (Y/n) meant that he had to stay up all day instead of all night, which was the sleeping pattern he was most accustomed to. After all, he was by no means a morning person.

Jack closed his eyes, listening to the pitter patter of the rain. It sounded like it was subsiding . . . ? It definitely sounded less heavy compared to the downpour from before. Although he wanted to stay the night with (Y/n), Jack knew that he shouldn't . . . He couldn't! It was risky enough for him to be out this long without a legitimate reason. And staying the night with a human would be even more dangerous if anyone found out.

With that reasoning in mind, Jack lifted himself off the ground and began his descent from the attic. He leisurely made his way towards the back door, snatching the mug from the countertop and stuffing it in his hood's single pocket on his way out.

As he stared at the dense precipitation, regrets still running rampant in his mind, he told himself, It's now or never. After a beat of additional procrastination, he ultimately took off running to the mansion, his hoodie already soaked within the first few seconds.