Chapter 17: The Last Letter

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

~Your POV~

The day after Jack made you stay indoors, you felt exceedingly better than before. All you had left to conquer was a small fever. Even so, Jack still wouldn't let you hike through the forest. He wanted to make sure you wouldn't get worse . . .

It was sweet, but you really wanted to spend time outside since you were basically kept indoors for two whole days. After all, a small fever was nothing—compared to what you've endured before—to get worked up about. And so you remained persistent, constantly bugging Jack to ease off his reins a bit. After some thought and consideration, he finally settled on just permitting you to lay down in your backyard.

As you lay there, gazing up at the big blue sky, you tried to picture what it was like to see the clouds. Losing most of your eyesight had made it so that the white of the clouds mostly blended in with the gradient of the sky, so they could only exist in your imagination. A few moments later, you heard Jack lie down beside you, his body making crunching sounds with the grass. Since there wasn't much to do, you spent time talking about the book Jack had finished reading earlier, listening to new music with him, and trying to get to know him a bit better.

When you tried asking him questions about himself, though, his responses were dreadfully vague. You sensed he wasn't telling you the whole truth, but you didn't mind all that much. He seemed like an introverted guy to you.

Thankfully, however, there were at least some things that you were able to weasel out of him in the end. Since you already knew that he lived in a sort of "housing complex," Jack eventually came around and told you a few details about the people with which he lived. By the sounds of it, you could tell he didn't really like any of them; he tolerated them at the most. They had such normal names, though. Ben, Toby, Tim, Brian . . . It was almost hard to believe that any of them were "such a pain to deal with."

"Toby's the one always causing trouble. And I'm always the one who has to deal with him after the consequences," Jack said.

You giggled. "Maybe he's just bored and needs a friend to entertain him. That could be why he always bothers Tim so much. Maybe . . . " you paused, trying to decide on one of the various reasons he could be so antagonizing. "Maybe Toby just wants him to loosen up and keep him from being such an 'uptight suck-up' all the time."

Jack chuckled dryly, slightly shaking his head. "I can't ever see that happening. None of us would ever be friends with one another." You heard the sound of clothing being shuffled and assumed that Jack was repositioning himself in some way.

"What about you and Ben, though? You two seem like you could easily become friends. You said he helps you out whenever you need it."

Jack scoffed. "Yeah, but he does that because he's usually getting something out of it."

You hummed in thought. "Maybe that's just a cover-up? Ben doesn't seem all that bad. And who knows? Maybe the others are just putting up a front, too, but, really, they're just a bit lonely inside. Anyone can feel isolated without any real friends."

Jack sighed deeply. "I don't think you know what you're talking about, (Y/n) . . . We're all too different, and we only put up with each other because there's no other place we have to go. We're alone because we chose to be alone, and there's no changing that . . . "

You exhaled lengthily. "Nonsense. Change is inevitable, big or small . . . You keep saying 'we' instead of 'them,' so you probably think you're just like them in some way, that there's no way you can 'change' from being alone or anything. But you have changed." You hesitated before continuing. You didn't want to overstep, but you still wanted to ask. " . . . You're not alone now . . . right?"