Chapter 6: Out of Luck

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

Side note: Slight trigger warning- abusive content

You and Lily walked side by side to your house, chatting and laughing over various high school stories and all the moments you made together. To you, those were the best times of your life. Sure, the workload never seemed to seize up in what seemed like an endless waterfall of homework, but spending time with Lily in the classes you had together made it bearable. You enjoyed reminiscing; you didn't want to think of how hard things would be without her . . . You just wanted to enjoy her presence for this one last time.

Once your house came into view, you began to walk exceptionally slow. You knew you would have to say goodbye to her eventually, but every fiber of your being refused to let go . . . Eventually, though, you reached the front lawn of your so-called "home." You stared at Lily with a frown. You didn't want to let her go; you didn't want her light to be removed from your life. After all, she was truly the only one in your life who cared about you.

"I– I'm sorry (Y/n) . . . I really wish I could stay with you," Lily said with regret.

You took a deep breath and sighed before replying. "Yeah, me too. But—" you took Lily's hands in yours, "—as long as you don't forget me . . . I'll be happy." You hoped she couldn't tell your smile was forced.

You closed in on the space between you and Lily to give her one last tight hug.

After your hug, Lily looked back at you with a determined face. "I'll never forget you (Y/n), so don't ever stop being happy for me, all right? I promise I'll be back for you one day."

You hoped she was right . . .

You watched as Lily walked toward her own house, her silhouette fading with every step. You must have been standing there for hours, unaware that the sky grew dark as you watched the spot Lily had been. Lily was gone. She was actually gone. You sighed, looking down at the shopping bags leaving imprints in your palms from their weight. You didn't want to risk getting caught with these, especially since you weren't supposed to be out. You assumed that your parents wouldn't let you keep all the cool new stuff you got from Lily, and you definitely did not want to lose them, so you decided to hide them outside the house until you knew it was absolutely safe for you to sneak them in.

You sincerely hoped and prayed that your parents wouldn't be there, but you were never the "glass-half-full" type of person. You took a deep breath and finally decided to head towards your front door. The time for enjoyment was over; now, it was the time to survive.

Your hands firmly grasped the door's handle, slowly turning the knob over to open the door. It was pitch black inside the house, so you couldn't see if anyone was home, though you could definitely hear them as muffled voices reached your ears. It sounded like your parents were arguing about something. Knowing them, it was either about money or you. The voices seemed like they were coming from the bedroom . . . which was right next to the attic entrance. Great.

You took a deep breath to calm down. Okay, (Y/n), you got this, you thought, trying to reassure yourself. All you gotta do is get through the living room, sneak past the bedroom door, and just pull down the ladder to climb to safety . . . Should be simple.

With that plan in mind, you quietly swung the front door closed behind you and gradually made your way to your room. Since you cleaned the living room before you left with Lily today, there was no need to be super careful about kicking an empty alcohol bottle. You managed to get past the living room, your escape within reach, but the closer to the attic, the clearer you could hear your parents' argument.

"She's always sneaking out without our permission to God-knows-where doing God-knows-what! She's never listened to us about anything!"

"Jesus Christ, why can't we just let her do whatever and leave the house?! That way, I can just have my peace and quiet."

"Do you have any idea what that could do to my reputation when I'm so close to a promotion? If she gets in trouble, then I'd have to pay for it. Everyone in this goddamn town would know about it, whether it be about her screw-ups, or even worse: ours. God, I can't believe I have to put up with this. I never asked for this!"

Geez, it's not like I asked for this to be my life, too. And I don't even do anything wrong! I just wanna live my own life without parents like you . . .

BAM!

You froze in fear.

"There you are!" your father shouted at you after violently slamming the door open, cursing you under his breath. You could tell he was drunk again by the nearly empty bottle of booze in his hand. He leaned against the wall, like he might tip sideways at any moment.

This was literally the worst timing ever. If only they had kept arguing for a few more minutes, but it never seemed like luck was on your side to begin with. You shrunk in on yourself as he stormed towards you and yanked you by the hair.

"Oooww ow owowowow!" You pressed your fingers to your temples in hopes of easing some of the searing pain from your scalp. Tears stung your eyes, blurring your vision. Before you knew it, you felt a hard force knock to the side of your face. You were momentarily stunned before you instinctively lowered your arms from your head to block the other punches that came your way. The attempt to defend yourself only served to anger him further. He began hitting you even harder than before.

"You think you can go out breaking the rules without punishment?!"

"I–I'm sorry! I lost track of time ag—"

"I don't want to hear your excuses!" He dealt blow after blow until you collapsed onto the floor. He took that as an invitation to kick at your sides.

You cried while he continued to hit you over and over again. You pleaded for help even though you knew no one would come to save you.

Your mother groaned out of frustration. "You people are giving me a migraine. I'm leaving." She walked past you without a second glance, leaving the front door wide open, a chance at freedom staring you right in the face, mocking you.

Your father only stopped hitting you to drink the last bit of his booze before throwing it across the room. "I'm heading out, too! You better not leave . . . You know the rules!" He stumbled out of the house and slammed the door shut behind him.

Your body ached with every movement you made. This was by far the worst beating yet, and you knew that you'd be sore and covered in bruises come morning light. Not wanting to move a single muscle, you remained lying on the ground, the only sounds to accompany you being your own sobbing.

Maybe if I go to sleep, I won't be able to feel the pain anymore, you thought hopefully. You were tired. Tired from the beating. Tired from losing Lily. You were tired of it all. You didn't want to live there anymore. You wanted to escape your life. As you fought to fall asleep, you imagined the kind of life you could lead if you just left for good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N): Eyyy look, I finally got this chapter out! Gosh was this one hard to write... I hope it came out ok in the end though. Anyways, thanks for reading!