Chapter 1

The first time Violet saw her blood she was five. She was running around the woods hiding from her Nanny. She wanted her to work on her writing and writing was not fun, Vi tripped over a fallen tree and got a large cut on her thigh. The little girl cried out and her Nanny ran to her immediately. "Oh my poor baby, did you hurt yourself?"

Vi reached out for her while crying. She carried her back to the cabin, the only home she's ever known. Jennifer gently placed her on the table, "does it hurt?" Vi shook her head no, she didn't like crying so she did everything possible to not cry. "Such a brave little Amethyst you are."

"Violet," she whispered. 

The Nanny laughed quietly, "fine fine, Violet it is. Let's get you cleaned up and get this blood stopped."

Violet watched what she was doing, "it's pretty."

"What's pretty Vi?" She pointed to the blood falling down her knee, it was a dark purple. She sighed quietly, "there all better." All the blood was cleaned up and she had a bandaid on her wound. "Dinner is almost ready and then after you will practice your writing."

Violet's life was spent studying every subject her Nanny could get her hands on. It seemed like she knew everything. Vi learned new languages, how to shoot a bow and arrow. She could throw a knife at a moving target and hit it 99% of the time. She could catch, kill and cook wild game.

When she was 10 her Nanny cut herself and Vi was so shocked when she saw her blood wasn't the same color as hers. When she asked her Nanny just brushed it off.

When she was 15 her period came, Nanny was always on edge. It was like she barely slept, she was paranoid like some big bad wolf was going to come steal her away in the middle of the night like all those fun books she tries to hide from her. The day Vi turned 18 it was like all the pressure was off of her, she was happy again.

"Vi? We are going to make a trip tomorrow. Now that you are of age, it's time for you to go back home."

"Home? Where is that?"

"Ellesfire, the Kingdom of Ellesfire. You are their Princess."

Vi scoffed because that sounded like the dumbest thing she's ever heard, "if I'm a Princess, then why have I been living in a cabin in the woods for as long as I can remember?"

She actually looked sad, "it's not my story to tell. I was woken up in the middle of the night and you were pushed into my arms, your mother told me to run and to not return until you turned 18." She wiped away her tears that were falling, "it sounded like there was a battle going on inside the castle. I was so scared but I took you and ran. I didn't know where to go at first but your mother thinks of everything. I looked in the bag she gave me and there was a map to this cabin. It took me almost a month to get here, we had to take stay hidden, we nearly starved to death on the way. But we made it and we've been here ever since."

"So tomorrow I get to meet my parents?"

She smiled at her so big, she was so happy "I finally get to see my family again."

That made Vi frown and pout a little, yeah she gets that she missed her family but she's raised her since she was a baby. Now she just wants to dump her off on complete strangers? "I'll pack my things," Vi muttered before she stormed off to her room. She wasn't really mad, she gets it she's not the center of the universe. But for most of her life, she was, and it kinda hurts. 

Sadly, she didn't have much to pack, a few dresses, and some of her favorite books and a few she stole from Nanny's collection. There was a soft knock on the door, she knew it was her, who else would it be? But she ignored her, "a car will be here tomorrow to pick us up."

"What a car? I've never been able to ride in a car before."

Nanny smiled at her so sweetly, "get used to it Princess Amethyst, you are about to live a life of luxury from now on."

Vi went to bed early that night since it took her no time to pack. But her mind wouldn't let her just roll over and go to sleep. She was a Princess like she knew every little girl dreams of waking up one day and being told "sorry you've had to live in such a shitty house but we wanted you to be humble. Here's your crown and castle." But Vi never wanted that life.

Nanny woke her up early the next morning, "I went to town and ordered a car. It'll be here shortly, it'll take us a few hours to get there so I want to leave soon."

Violet nodded and went to get cleaned up, she put on her best dress which basically meant it was the cleanest and had the least amount of holes in it. "What's going to happen to all of our stuff?"

She looked around, "if there's anything you really want we can always send someone to get it after we've settled in."

"I'm going to miss this place, and Mr. Lou's donuts."

Nanny smiled at her, "those are some really yummy donuts."

"Can we get them one last time before we leave?"

She sighed but Vi knew she had won, "fine I'll have the car swing by there and we'll get some to go, okay?"

20 minutes later they were happily munching on donuts during her first time ever riding in a car. She wasn't kidding about it taking a long time to get there, they stopped several times to get gas and go to the bathroom. Violet barely talked the entire ride, she was too busy looking at everything. She'd never been this far from the cabin and there were so many awesome things to see. She must have fallen asleep at some point because she was gently shaking her shoulder, "Vi, we're here. Wipe the drool off your chin."