Chapter 5

It took a few weeks for me to fully recover. I had so much adrenaline pumping I couldn't even feel the fractured ribs or my broken hand.

After I was released Perseus and his men came to get me. While I had originally been offered a spot in the army I didn't understand that I was being offered a place into Perseus until I had actually arrived at the headquarters. It was huge. On the outside it only looked like one two floors but there were 3 more underground.

Not only did he push to make a soldier out of nothing but he decided to use my mind as an "added bonus" as Adler said. In the short time I was in college I had gained much information about my studies and bit beyond. While I wasn't exactly an expert in physcics and biochemistry but in my freetime over the past few years I had dabbled in cryptography. Joining Perseus only strengthened those skills, mainly cryptography.

"Understand that you have been given an opportunity here. I don't do that for just anyone, all these soldiers you see here, they all earned it. If you ever want more than just a desk job, I suggest you earn it as well. Comrade Pentrenko here will be in charge of your training in combat. I will be overseeing it from time to time." Perseus said as they approached the man. He seemed to be a few years younger than Perseus, and at least ten years older than Anthony.

"This your new recruit comrade?" Pentrenko asked me, giving me a rather judgemental look.

"Yes, you have trained up some of the finest soldiers to date, he may be a challenge but I don't doubt your tactics." Perseus placed a hand on my shoulder. "Good luck comrades." He said before walking away.

"Your name?" Pentrenko asked me, myarms crossed.

"Anthony Petrov sir." I said.

"Petrov?" He said skeptically. His sudden epihany dawned on him. Being the moron I was I didn't focus on why he asked for my name twice or even the look he gave when he remembered who's kid he was talking to.

"Yes sir."

"Go get in line with the others." He pointed me towards the others he was reaponsible for training.

That day we would work on hand to hand combat. Everyone had sparred with at least four people. I was on my third.

"Your punch, don't open yourself up so much." The man advised me as I stumbled to the ground. "Or things like that could happen." He helped me up to my feet. "You must be a new asset?" He asked.

"Yeah" was all I managed to say. I hadn't been there a day and I was already feeling frustrated. I could consider myself fortunate that at least they also could make use out of me in the lab if not on the field. "How long have you been here?" I grew curious, was there anyone else as new as me?

"About seven months. Just short of a year." We introduced overselves afterwards. Antonov ended up becoming a great friend to me, much like Kirk.

Pentrenko blew the whistel, telling everyone to find a new person. How lucky I was to get with one of the most pathetic people on the face of this planet. For a rookie, he could certainly be intimidating.

He didn't say an entire word while we sparred. I guess because I didn't get one single good shot on him. He landed all of his on me. I collapsed to my stomach, my head feeling heavy. I wasn't out but for a moment I wish I had been.

After a few moments, Pentrenko blew his whistle once more. This time everyone gathered around the two people fighting. I squose my way towards the front, beside Antonov. "Thats the guy I was with just a moment ago." I pointed towards him as the man slammed his opponent to the ground.