Chapter 20

East Berlin, German Democratic Republic
Feb. 24, 1981

They had tracked down Kraus in the bar across the street and ID'd the man with Bell's camera to be sure. Bell always enjoyed taking pictures and Adler made sure they were always stocked with film to make Bell happy.

"Our intel says that Kraus will meet Volkov and Reznov across the street at the bar." Adler paused in the dark alley. "Meet Hudson's contact inside, she'll have a blue umbrella."

"Got it

"Got it." Bell said before walking past him.

He adjusted his hat as he casually slipped out onto the sidewalk amongst other German people. He felt the rain drop and splash onto his hat and his leather jacket covering his shoulders. He kept a casual pace, being sure to avoid distance and eye contact with any of the Stasi, some of which were dealing with citizens by holding them to gunpoint while the other shun their flashlight in the local's face.

Making his way across the street, he opened the door to reval people sitting, chatting, gossiping and laughing, all while they shared drinks and smokes.

"Adler, you'd like this place." Bell whispered into comms.

"Not when its swarming with Stasi." He replied.

"You need to stop listening to your mother. All she thinks about these days are nuclear war. Its crazy." Bell overheard a man speaking to his wife as they as he walked passed them. He scanned the room as he did so, quick to find the blue umbrella at the back of the bar.

"My friend I'm so glad you could make it!" The red haired lady greeted him as if they had known each other for some time.

"Wonderful to see you again friend!" Bell shook her hand with a cheerful smile. "You must be Greta Keller." Bell said quietly.

"Yes, and Kraus is at the table over my right shoulder." Greta lowered her voice.

Bell took a quick glimpse then looked back at Greta. He pulled out the listening device he helped Lazar construct. Bell got the idea from seeing Adler's cigarettes lying around on a table back at the safehouse.

They listened as the waitress took Kraus' order. "I'll have a Berliner Weisse please." The man said.

"Loud and clear, Adler?" Bell asked.

"Affirmative, now we wait for Volkov." Adler responded.

"Hudson didn't reveal much- he said your after Volkov?" Greta set aside her cigarete in a small tray.

"He never tells anyone much. That jackass won't give me the time of day even if I asked him." Bell remembered an encounter he and Adler had with Hudson shortly after 'Nam. "But yes, Volkov and another man, his partner in crime, Alexi Reznov."

"I can't recall a man by that name working with Volkov." She said.

"What do you know about our friend over there?" Bell referred to Kraus.