Chapter 1

(Picture: Skylar)

(Year 3017)

The sky darkens with grey clouds and I cover my mouth with my sleeve in disgust while I walk past the rotting animals. Cats, Dogs, Mice, rats, birds, bugs you name it and it was there. My attempt to keep the stench out is futile as it still manages to sneak past the holes in my shirt and into my nose. I gag, tears forming in my eyes, and subconsously walk faster. I turn the corner quickly, trying desperately to ignore the dead body in a nearby alley. They were here again. Fiddling with my keys I finally manage to unlock the door and burst through it gasping for air.

"Skylar?" My mother yells panicked before rushing towards me and hugging me tightly "Skylar honey I was so worried"

"They won't get me that easily" I rub her back comfortingly while stroking her blonde hair "Plus I have these!"

I hold up my re-invented pepper, or rather garlic, spray and my pocket knives. My mother is the polar opposite of me, she's 5'6" I'm 5'3" I have brown hair, hers is blonde, I have blue eyes but hers are brown. I look like my father while my brother has my mother's blonde hair and chocolate eyes. Had anyway. I know why she was freaking out even when I was only five minutes late. My mother has been different ever since then. Nervous. Jumpy. Frightened. Unnecessarily worried. Unable to be or to be left alone. All because of those bloodsuckers.

There's a scream next door and my mother stiffens. I pass her my knives and run to my bedroom pulling out the gun my father brought home just days before his death. A sickening crack tells me the door to our house has been broken down and I run back to my mother hiding behind the couch. Her eyes are filled with tears and worry but they clear slightly as they land on me seeing I'm alright.

"Anyone home?" His voice sounds almost human. If you didn't know they almost look it too.

"My wife is hurt, please help me" It almost sounds real. I stand up pointing the gun at the creature's head. He's around 5'7", his eyes are a mix of purple and silver widen and he smirks looking past my gun and into my eyes. Suddenly he's in front of me and I'm thrown against a wall with his hand on my neck and my gun broken on the ground.

"Man, it's been ages since I've gotten to eat such a cute human" his voice is darth-vader deep and his breath reeks of metallic blood

"Put her down Nicolas" a voice hisses from behind him and fear flashes through his eyes before his grip on my neck tightens and I let out a small cough. I manage to look past the Vampires ugly head and my breath hitches in my throat, if I could breathe right now that is. A tall girl stands proudly in front of my mother, almost as if shielding her from 'Nicolas', her hair is, assumedly dyed, light purple, her right eye blood red, her left eye golden, she looks around 5'9" maybe even 6 foot her white t-shirt is smeared slightly with black vampire blood rather than red human blood and her black combat boots suit her black ripped jeans.

"Nicolas!" She hisses louder and her eyes begin to glow dangerously. My eyes sting as his grip tightens before it suddenly disappears. I fall to the ground tears falling from my eyes involuntarily. I manage to look up at the girl holding 'Nicolas' almost two feet off the ground by his throat and hissing in his face. There's a small puddle under him and his pants are wet around the crotch. He freaking pissed his pants. A small chuckle escapes my lips and the girl glances at me before 'Nicolas' is thrown into a wall coughing and gasping for air. My eyes follow the Vampire girl as she strides towards me gently lifting me up bridal style.

"P-please don't hurt me" I croak and try struggling out of her grasp but her Vampire strength holds me in place.

"You'll be okay, I promise" she whispers as I pass out.