Chapter 14 "Miledi Reisen"

Hajime and the others (not including Y/n) looked around nervously. Silence filled the room, and the tension was almost palpable. The moment one side moved, a fight to the death would break out. Or at the very least, that was the sense the atmosphere gave off until...

"Heyo~ Nice to see you~ It's me, everyone's favorite idol, Miledi Reisen- chan~"

The huge golem's greeting didn't match its look at all.

"......"

Their jaws all dropped open in shock. The cutesy voice coming out of the heavily armed and armored golem was so utterly incongruous that they couldn't help it.

The giant golem frowned in displeasure as it looked down. Judging from its voice, Hajime guessed it was a she.

Mileidi: "Hello? Aren't you going to say anything? It's proper manners to return a greeting, you know? Sheesh, kids these days... no respect, I tell you."

That annoying manner of talking was very familiar to them as a certain person who dresses up in a white tuxedo and has white hair likes to use a similar phrase.

"Unbelievable."

The golem with a burning knuckle in one hand and a flail in the other shrugged her shoulders in a very human-like fashion. Irritated expressions flitted across the trio's faces. She talked just like the messages they'd seen. Since she'd called herself Miledi Reisen, it was possible it was the Liberator herself, but she was supposedly long dead and a human.

Hajime decided to try that angle of questioning first.

Hajime: "My bad. But wasn't Miledi Reisen a human? And isn't she dead? Anyway, we've never seen a sentient golem before, so we were a bit surprised... Sorry about that. Also, tell us what exactly you are. As concisely as possible, please."

Mileidi: "Oh my, you're quite forward despite being surrounded and outnumbered."

There was no subtlety to his questions. He just laid his questions flat out. Unsurprisingly, the golem called Miledi was taken aback by his bluntness. But she recovered quickly, and if he didn't know golems couldn't show expression, Hajime would have sworn she grinned.

Mileidi: "Hmm? Miledi was always a golem, you know? Whatever gave you the idea she was human?"

Hajime: "There were a few things written about you in Oscar's notebook. And don't give me bullshit like 'Oh, but I look just like a human, don't I?' Just keep it short. It looks like you're trying to get in our way, so we'll be turning you into scrap soon enough. That's why there's no need for any annoying banter, just tell us what we want to know."

Mileidi: "O-Oh my. I finally get a chance to talk to someone, and this is how you treat me? And did you just say Oscar? Did you three perhaps clear O-chan's labyrinth?"

Hajime: "Yeah, we've already beat Oscar Orcus' dungeon. But I'm the one asking the questions here. If you don't want to answer, that's fine too. We'll just move straight to the part where we crush you to pieces. It's not like I'm dying to know any of this information. All we're here for is the ancient magic."

Hajime pointed Donner at the massive golem to accentuate his words. Yue looked on impassively, Y/n was well just standing there thinking up a new rant. but Shea, half-impressed and half-nonplussed, let her thoughts leak out.