Chapter 22 "Teacher, Student, Bullet's, Quest"

{I found the image funny so yea ^}

----

[Previously]

Did they say what I think they just said? And is it just me or does that guy's voice sound just like "his" voice?

Questions raced through the students' minds. They all tensed up and stared at the curtain, as if the force of their gaze alone could pierce the opaque veil.

Yuka especially was shocked. Her life had been saved by Hajime, and of the people present, she'd been the most affected by that incident. She didn't even notice when her spoon slipped from her fingers and clattered to the floor.

The other students too were reminded of the boy that had fallen into the abyss four months ago. The boy whose demise had reminded them of their own frail mortality. The boy who was at the root of the trauma they wished they could forget. The boy who, for better or worse, always stood out. Alarmed, Foss and the knights asked what was wrong, but none of the students even heard their words. While the knights were looking at each other in bewilderment, Aiko muttered a single word.

Aiko: "Nagumo-kun?"

That word was enough to break her out of her daze, and she found she could freely move her body again. Aiko stood up so fast her chair fell to the floor behind her, and almost tripped over herself in her haste to rip open the curtain.

It slid apart smoothly, revealing Hajime, Y/n, Yue and Shea standing a few feet away.

Before she could even get a good look at him, Aiko shouted his name. "Nagumo-kun!"

Hajime: "Huh...? Sensei?"

? Sensei?"

---

[Current]

He looked very different from the Hajime that Aiko remembered. Not just his appearance, but even his demeanor felt different.

The boy Aiko knew was a gentle, mature individual who always seemed to be spacing out in class. She had always thought that awkward smile he wore when people talked to him suited him well.

However, the boy in front of him had a gaze as sharp as a hawk's, making it difficult to approach him. He was so different from how Aiko remembered him that had they just passed each other on the street, she definitely would not have recognized him.

Still, close inspection revealed that his facial features and voice closely resembled the same Hajime she remembered. And more than anything... he had called her Sensei.

That was what made it certain. Even if his appearance and the way he carried himself had changed, the boy standing in front of her was none other than her student, Hajime Nagumo.

Aiko: "Nagumo-kun... it's really you, isn't it? You're alive... You're still alive..."

Hajime: "Uh no... you must have mistaken me for someone else. Bye."