Chapter 20 "The Town Of Fuhren and The Ugly Pig"

[AN: Long Chapter, Also don't question the image it is there for 'Entertainment']

The independent city-state of Fuhren. It was the largest mercantile city in the continent, guarded by thick walls that stood twenty meters high and wrapped two hundred kilometers around the entirety of the city. Craftsmen of all kinds competed ruthlessly with each other day after day to sell their wares. Some made it big and had their wildest dreams granted, while others were crushed by the dog eat dog nature of the city. With the amount of tourists and traders that came in and out of the place, it was easily the busiest in the world.

Because of its size, Fuhren was divided into four quarters. The bureaucrats' quarter, where the city's various administrative affairs were processed, the tourists' quarter, where most of the entertainment facilities were located, the makers' quarter, where weapons, armor, tools, and furniture of all kinds were made, and the traders' quarter, where goods of all kinds were sold.

Two main streets ran from east to west and north to south, intersecting in the center. Generally, the closer to the center of the city one's establishment was, the higher the quality of its services. On the other hand, the fringes of the city were filled with unlicensed black market stores selling various goods and services. Occasionally, one would become famous for its prices or wares, and a lot of rough and tumble types like adventurers or mercenaries would begin to frequent it.

The quartet heard this all from a tour guide while they sat at a cafe attached to the Fuhren adventurer's guild branch, which was located in a corner of the bureaucrats' quarter. Demand for guides in the city was high because of how big it was, and it appeared being a tour guide was one of the more respectable professions in the city. As there were a number of touring agencies in the city, each of them had to compete for customers, which led to the overall quality of service to rise.

After they'd gotten through the city gates, Y/n and the others had said goodbye to More's caravan and gone to turn in their stamped request slip to the adventurer's guild. As they were new to the city, they had also hoped to find a guidebook of some kind there, which was when they'd learned about the existence of tour guides.

And so, they'd hired a guide, Rithy, who was explaining the ins and outs of the city to them over a light meal.

Rithy: "So if you're looking to find an inn, I'd recommend heading to the tourists' quarter first. There are a few inns in the bureaucrat's quarter as well, but most of them are temporary lodgings for people working here, so their service isn't nearly as good as the others."

Hajime: "I see. Then I guess we'll head there next. What inn do you recommend?"

Rithy: "Depends on what you're looking for. Each of them focus on different services."

Hajime: "Let's see. Well, the main things are that it has to have good food and a bath. Location or the like doesn't matter too much. Oh, and if possible, I'd like somewhere where there's a guarantee."

Rithy nodded to herself as she listened to Hajime's preferences. The first two were common requests. She started making a mental list of recommendations after hearing them, in fact. However, Hajime's third request threw her off.

Rithy: "A guarantee? Of what?"

Hajime: "Ah, let me explain. Say, for example, we got into a dispute of some kind, and we clearly weren't the perpetrators, the inn will make those responsible pay for the damages. I want to stay somewhere decently high-end, but I want a guarantee that we won't have to pay for any broken furniture or the like if the incident is clearly not our fault."

Rithy: "Umm, you shouldn't run into any trouble like that in the first place, I don't think..."

Hajime smiled awkwardly.