Arc 1 "Epilogue"

"You are truly fit to be a hero."

A clear voice rang out through a mountain valley illuminated by the half moon and bedecked in everlasting autumn leaves. The man who had spoken narrowed his eyes and extended a hand in front of him.

"B-But I..."

The person he was addressing gulped audibly as he stammered. They realized they were standing on the edge of a decision that would change their life irrevocably, and the temptation and dangers of each choice led them to hesitate.

As they looked around, they saw the legion of monsters that had bent to their will. The Mountain Range that sprawled north of the lake town of Ur rested near the top of Heiligh's territory. They had left the safety of their comrades behind and come here alone to do something about their tenuous position. Despite the fact that they had been summoned as one of the chosen heroes, despite the fact that they had a talent that surpassed most humans of this world, they had been relegated to a side role. And that, they couldn't stand.

But what they couldn't stand most of all was the man that had pushed them aside and assumed the role of hero that they aspired to. That was why they'd come here to put these powerful monsters under their control, so they could win the respect of the others.

However, they were nearing their limit. Given enough time, their dream might have been realized, but that was true of everyone else around them as well. Especially the party that fought on the front lines. That party must have long since surpassed their skills. Even though they wanted to be admired and loved by all, they'd been too scared to go back to the labyrinth. At this point there was little chance they could catch up to the best. They'd told themselves over and over that with the right methods it could be done. Despite that they'd never been sure, and oftentimes they'd been on the verge of giving up, believing that they just weren't born with the kind of talent real heroes had been. And yet, they persevered.

That was why the sudden appearance of the man that had told them

"You are indeed special" had been so moving, and why their invitation sounded so appealing. Even if in exchange for accepting his offer, they would have to give up something irreplaceable.

"W-Will you really turn me into a hero? You won't turn around and betray me?"

"Of course. As long as you're truly willing to throw everything away and come to our master's side, that is. You'll have to prove yourself by fighting that agricultural goddess of yours and her bodyguards, but if you do, we'll treat you as our hero. I promise we won't betray you. There's no one else we can rely on. It's precisely because you're special that we want to invite you to our camp."

"Me... a hero. I'll finally become the protagonist of my own story..."

They gulped again at the man's seductive words. The black flames of ambition burned fiercely within their eyes. Their desire and desperation spilled forth like a burst dam, staining their silhouette black. Without even bothering to hide their excitement, they nodded vigorously and licked their lips.

"I'll do it. I'll become your hero." Their expression couldn't be called heroic by any stretch of the imagination.

"A wise choice. I look forward to working with you... hero." The man smiled gently, while internally cackling to himself. Not only was a wonderful slaughter about to occur, it would be brought about by one of their own. The irony was simply delicious.

In a quiet corner of the Northern Mountain Range, two sets of laughter overlapped each other. The only ones present to bear witness were the forlorn half moon and a legion of unthinking monsters.

End of Arc 1

----

-

Next Time: "Arc 2 Prologue"

-

[AN: Well there we go Arc 1 is done I'll be working on the Arc 2 Plot for a day or two so it might take a while to publish the next chapters but hey I might decide to go for an all-nighter and finish it today hehe. anyway thanks for reading and ill see you in the next Arc.]

---------------

Fin.