Chapter 5 The Tricks Up His Sleeve

Another week passed. Laura was restless to go home and asked Andrew to get her discharged every day. He told her patiently each time that she was safer in the hospital for the time being and certain new arrangements for her safety were being made, though he did not elaborate on what those were. But it wasn't until an unexpected guest's arrival at the hospital that Laura's removal from the hospital got pushed forward.

She had just finished talking to her mother on a video chat from Australia and looked relieved. They had both been worried about each other and Andrew had to act as the go-between both assuring the other's safety.

"At least she's safe in Australia." Laura said with slight melancholy.

"But you miss her." Ji Hoon stated. She nodded.

"The way things are, I can't even think of visiting her. I can't put her in danger." Ji Hoon saw her downcast face and sat on the edge of her bed.

"Hey, you'll be able to see her soon." He said. She smiled gratefully at him. Even though she was practically alone, Ji Hoon had been an inexplicable comfort, not just by guarding her.

"Special delivery!" a voice called out as a uniformed man came through the door holding a giant gift basket. Ji Hoon was up in a second, his stance stiffening.

"We didn't order anything." He said, eyeing the basket.

"It's a gift for – Miss Laura Talavera?" the man said checking the card. He deposited it on the table and left. Ji Hoon checked the corridor with x-ray scrutiny before shutting the door.

"It's probably a trap, right?" Laura asked, looking anxiously at the basket.

"I'll have to give a security clearance before letting it near you." Ji Hoon said, opening the basket. Laura smiled weakly.

"Do your worst." She said. Ji Hoon gave her a quick smirk before going through the items. They seemed ordinary enough, though the products were expensive brands; top quality chocolate boxes, rare coffee grinds, scented candles, diffusion oils, creams and shampoos, a hand painted cup and platter set and even a pair of Victoria's secret nightwear. Laura's jaw dropped open in shock as Ji Hoon pulled that out – it was anything but modest.

"Ahem, I'm guessing you're not the slip type." Ji Hoon said feeling hot around the neck.

"That's perverted! What kind of jerk sends something like that? Throw it away! I can't bear to look at it!" she said, shuddering. Ji Hoon stuffed it back in the basket.

I can't let you have the edible items unless I know its source and the scented stuff needs to be tested as well. It may be poison." Ji Hoon said.

"Doesn't matter, I don't want anything from there anyway." Laura said. "Which desperado sent that detestable thing?" Ji Hoon checked the card and his expression hardened.

"Luke Wetmore." He almost growled out. The moment the name came out of his mouth, there was a knock at the door and a figure came in without waiting for an acknowledgement.

"Laura, Laura, my sweet bride-to-be. Do you know how hard it is to see you? The security around here would make anyone think you were about to be murdered." An ingratiating laugh followed this little speech and Laura paled visibly as the stylish form of Luke Wetmore entered the room.

"You look a good deal better. The way the papers have been ranting about you I thought you'd be in a coma." He continued. He saw the gift basket on the table. "Ah good, you received that. I hope you enjoyed its contents." He said. He stepped forward but Ji Hoon's considerably taller form stepped in the way, blocking him.

"I'm sorry; Miss Laura's not accepting any visitors today." He said in a hard voice. Luke laughed without humor.

"Maybe you haven't heard – but I'm her fiancée. I have a right to see her." He said trying to move Ji Hoon out of the way. But he gave up when he found that it was like trying to move a mountain. Laura found her voice suddenly and spoke.