Chapter 20 On the Trail

"So now you get to the point. Sorry I'm not sorry to disappoint, but I'm not annulling that, if that's what you're after." Laura said with her chin in the air.

"Oh, I'm not asking. You have much to lose, you see." Vultaggio simpered. Laura clenched her jaws. He knew her weakness.

"Turn off that infernal music, then we'll talk." She said. Vultaggio smiled and got up walking around but made no move to turn it off.

"Did you know there is a story behind this song?" he asked.

"Not interested." Laura threw back. Vultaggio let out a breath.

"Oh, but you'll hear it anyway. It is about a wealthy man who hides his daughter from the world, shielding her, protecting her..." Laura knew what he was getting at.

"But one day, when he set an elaborate plan to destroy his enemies, he ended up endangering and losing his daughter instead. You see, he expected to get the corpse of his nemesis. Instead, he received the dying form of his daughter. It was quite a shock to him." Laura swallowed, trying not to let the fear overpower her. Vultaggio sipped the wine before continuing.

"All Talavera's efforts were in vain... his precious daughter is in his enemy's hands. I hold his greatest card." Vultaggio said with a dark sneer.

"I don't share any blood with him," Laura said.

"True. But he seems to have gone through great lengths to protect you. Not unlike your bothersome bodyguard, the Rogue Ranger." Laura's expression gave away dismay.

"How do you know about him? What do you want with him?" she asked, raising her voice. Vultaggio turned to her frowning.

"Hmm, it seems I struck a nerve. Perhaps he is more than a bodyguard to you..." he said slowly. Laura realized she gave too much away and shrank back.

"I have nothing against your bodyguard except for the fact that I wish to get even with him for making a mockery of my men. But I know some people who would pay dearly to get their hands on him. What they do with him is, of course, not my concern."

"You'll never get the Rogue Ranger!" Laura shrieked though she was panicking inside. Vultaggio came close and lifted her chin up with one finger.

"Wrong, signora. He is already on his way here, coming for you. He took the bait perfectly, as we planned. You see, we are aware of the rogue ranger's methods. He is certain to have put a tracker on you." Vultaggio said with a smile that sent chills through her. "I was planning to use your father to negotiate with you but I see there is a young man you hold very close to your heart."

"Don't you dare harm him!" Laura screamed. Vultaggio stared at her with a calculative look.

"I might spare him if – you sign this document. You will annul the Renovation Plan and return this city to me." he said. Laura debated. She couldn't let that happen; on the other hand, Ji Hoon was in danger. The OIS, if they were the ones working with Vultaggio, couldn't get their hands on Ji Hoon. She had to protect him at all costs. She thought hard. How would Ji Hoon track her? Was it something she was wearing? She suddenly remembered his unusual question that morning: you're still wearing your earrings, right? Just to be safe... could they be a tracker?

"Why do you need me to sign the contract? Didn't my stepfather lead the project? You should've gone directly to him." she said, stalling for time.

"I would – except that after his little accident, Talavera has been out cold and hence useless to me. There is no point trying to blackmail him even. You are the key to his plans." Vultaggio said. He pulled out a pen.

"Wait, there's one more thing I need to know. How did you find me?" Laura asked. She had thought Ji Hoon's plan was foolproof; she had to know how it failed.