Chapter 24 Last Breath

Andrew was already waiting at the door, keeping an eye out for any intruders. He had managed to distract all the nurses and cleared the hallway. The less people knew, the better. He had informed the police guards of Laura's visit, warning them to stay vigilant. He scouted the hallways before finally stopping at Jason's room. He ushered Laura in, followed by Ji Hoon. Laura stared at the still, almost lifeless figure in the patient bed.

"Is he-?" she looked inquiringly at Andrew. He shook his head.

"He's been in a comatose state for sometime. He went into shock briefly today... that's what makes the doctors think he doesn't have much time left." Andrew finished on a gentler note. Laura nodded, bravely holding her chin up. She drew near until she was beside the bed. Ji Hoon stayed a few feet behind her, giving her space though his keen eyes never left her.

"Hello, father." Laura said softly, taking Jason's hand. "It still feels so weird calling you that... I know, there's always been some kind of invisible wall between us and I've never tried to get close to you..." she swallowed a sob.

"You've been a good dad to me. I know I've never told you this but... I want you to know that. You came into my life just when I needed you most, even though I didn't realize it. I know, everything you've done was for me; I'm sorry I didn't appreciate it all sooner. And what I want to say now is... is..." a tear rolled down her cheek and her shoulders shook with silent sobs. Ji Hoon was beside her in a second, supporting her with his strong firm back. Laura leaned into him, drawing strength from his wordless comfort.

"I'm not ready to lose you." she whispered softly. She gazed at Jason's closed eyelids, wishing they would open. After a long moment, she took a deep breath and turned to Andrew.

"What exactly did the doctor say?" she asked.

"WEll... his chances are fifty-fifty." Andrew said in a low voice. "I don't want to get your hopes up Miss Talavera but there's still a chance he can survive. Not counting complications."

"What sort of complications?"

"There's been severe damage to his spine and nervous system," Andrew explained with knitted fingers, "even if he survives, we're not sure he'll have all his faculties. He might be speech impaired; he might be disabled; he might be paralysed. Truth is, we don't know until he wakes up."

"But he might still wake up, right?" Laura's hopeful voice stung Ji Hoon's heart. He glanced at Andrew, silently communicating to him. Andrew's eyes flickered from him back to Laura.

"We can hope, Miss Talavera." he said with uncertainty. Laura turned back to Jason.

"How long does he have?" she asked.

"Days. At best," he added after a hesitant moment.

"And there's nothing we can do?" Laura continued. The silent shake of Andrew's head made her sigh.

"Can I - stay for a few moments with him? Alone?" she asked in a small voice. Andrew nodded though Ji Hoon gave her a long stare before agreeing.

"We'll be right outside." He assured her as they went out of the room. Ji Hoon leaned against the door, exhaling.

"Aish, what I'd give for a cigarette right now..." he told Andrew in Korean. Andrew half-smiled.

"That bad?" he replied in Korean. "You haven't had stress like that since the funeral."

"Yeah. Appa used to rave about how bad they were for me in school..." Ji Hoon gave a humorless laugh.

"It's because of her, isn't it?" Andrew asked quietly. "Because you care for her." Ji Hoon remained silent.