Chapter 13 Staggering Heights

Laura woke up with a yawn and looked around. They were still in the car, only the smooth highway roads had changed to long winding country roads, sprayed with forests on one side and rolling hills and distant mountains on the other.

"Where are we?" she asked Ji Hoon.

"Saddlehorn Mountain. It's just a little way till the safe house." he said.

"We're gonna stay on a mountain?" Laura asked with incredulity.

"Not on. In." Ji Hoon said, pointing to a low range mountain. It appeared like he was going straight into the wall of the mountain which was covered in thick ivy trellises. But the car passed through the curtain of leaves, into a dark cave.

"Whoa –" Laura began, as they came into an opening full of light. It was like being in the hollow of the mountain, with the top open like a volcano, letting in a spot full of sunlight. There were even a few trees, shedding their leaves freely creating a crunchy carpet over the sand. Jutting into the space was a rock structure with windows and a door.

"Is that -?" Laura asked.

"Yes. The safe house. It's completely hidden and lined with bomb proof material. It's a good way from nearby villages but we won't need to get out too often." Ji Hoon said. He parked the car in front of the house structure and they got out.

"One last thing to do..." Ji Hoon said, bending down and looking for something on the ground. He straightened up when he found it – a lever buried under the sand and leaves. He kicked it and a grinding sound followed, startling Laura. A thick metal door like that of a garage lowered down from inside the rock tunnel they had just come through.

"Now we're safe. No one will find us. It's just you and me for a while." Ji Hoon said with a half-smile. Laura didn't know whether to feel relieved or nervous at that.

"What about food? And water?" she asked.

"Don't worry, this place is stocked up. There's a spring that runs through the mountain. We can get fresh water from there. This place even has electricity and plumbing."

"Oh, good. For a moment there I thought we'd have to live like the Stone Age." Laura said relaxing. Ji Hoon grinned as he unloaded the bags. Laura followed him into the house, carrying the small bag he had asked her to bring.

"Ah, I should warn you – there's no wifi. There's TV and cable though." Ji Hoon said.

"What about bedrooms?" Laura asked. Ji Hoon hesitated for a moment.

"There's only one bedroom. I'll take the couch." He said. Laura's mouth hung open.

"But –"

"I'm just gonna use the bathroom first okay? I need to change out of these bloody clothes." Ji Hoon said, hastily running through the bathroom door. Laura stared at the door. She turned to the rough looking green couch in front of the TV.

"It looks so uncomfortable... and he's way too tall for it. His legs will stick out..." she said. She walked around the room, taking in the furnishing. It was plain but provided the bare essentials. There was an open kitchen with an island, an oven and induction stove, two chairs, and a fridge. The living room was a wide carpeted space with just the couch, a tiny coffee table, lampshade and TV. In a separate room, cut off by a wall with no door hung a punching bag from the ceiling. Next to it was a pair of racquets and a ball.

"I wonder if he owns this place..." she said. She went over to the lamp to turn it on but nothing happened.

"Hmm... maybe the switchbox is off." She said to herself. The bathroom door opened and Ji Hoon came out wearing only pants and a short towel slung on his neck, his hair moist and shiny from a shower. Laura turned to him and nearly choked seeing him shirtless, a thin silver chain with a rectangle tag swinging from his neck.