Chapter 22 Come with the Dawn

⬆️ Featured soundtrack: Ellie Goulding - Bittersweet

Ji Hoon uncoiled the rope and prepared to throw his grappling hook.

"Ji Hoon!" Laura's weak voice carried down to him. She sounded so scared; he had to get to her soon.

"Hold on, I'm coming to get you! Don't be afraid Laura, I'm coming!" he called up to her. He swung the hook onto a ledge two floors below her and climbed up. Then he climbed up to the next ledge. He could hear her hyperventilating as he drew closer.

"Listen to my voice Laura, don't think of anything else. Focus on my voice." He said comfortingly. He looked up and met her frightened eyes.

"It's okay Laura, I'm here. Everything's gonna be alright. I won't let you fall, I promise." He said finally reaching her. He stood protectively in front of her, shielding her. He cut the ropes from her hand with a small knife. Immediately her arms came around him, pulling him close.

"Oh Ji Hoon! I'm so glad! I thought I was going to die without seeing you ever again! I was so afraid..." she sobbed into his shirt.

"Shh, Laura, it's okay, you're safe now. Are you hurt anywhere?" He asked.

"N-no... just dizzy. They gave me some sort of anesthetic..." Laura said through her tears.

"I'll make them pay for that." Ji Hoon said, hardening his voice. He wrapped his arms around her. She met his eyes, her fingers curling around his shirt, tugging closer.

"Ji Hoon..." she sobbed."I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have left like that! I thought I would never see you again..." he shushed her softly, touching her lips, her tear stained cheeks. He met her gaze with eyes full of passion.

"I told you before." he said. "As long as you want me, I'll never leave you." she swallowed.

"I love you Ji Hoon. I want you to know that. I was so afraid I'd never get the chance to see you again... If I lost my chance before I could tell you that..." Laura cried. Ji Hoon caressed her face.

"Laura... I love you too. More than you can understand. I only kept things a secret to protect you. But I'm sorry. I would die for you if it meant keeping you safe."

"Don't say that! I can't lose you! I can't live if anything happens to you!" Laura said, clutching him tighter. He sighed, wishing he had more time to confess everything he felt.

"Laura... you have no idea how you make me feel when you say that. To think that you care for someone like me... knowing what I'm coming from... It's more than I deserve." He couldn't hold back anymore; he didn't know what the future held, whether he would even live past today. All he knew was one thing; he had fallen irrevocably in love with the girl in his arms. He crashed down on her lips, urgently. He let his weight hold her, feeling the tears fall from her closed eyes. He wiped them, without breaking their kiss. He felt her need as strong as his; and he wanted to satisfy it. But reality nagged at the back of his mind and soon they would have to return to it – to fight.

"Ji Hoon..." she whispered. She leaned her head into him, stroking his hair. The sun had just begun to come up in the horizon and the golden light glowed on Ji Hoon's cheek.

"I'm gonna get you out of here. I'm gonna keep you safe." He said resolutely. She nodded.

"I trust you." she said. He wrapped the rope around her, securing it. Then holding onto her, he lowered them both from the ledge, using the grappling hook. In a moment, they were back on the ground.