Chapter 23 Love's a loaded Gun

⬆️ Featured soundtrack.

"Ahem." Andrew cleared his throat to make known his presence. Ji Hoon withdrew from Laura and wiped his lips discreetly. Laura gave him a faint smile.

"I er, a-hem, contacted the FBI and Interpol. A kidnapping case is definitely worth looking into so they'll be onto Vultaggio soon." Andrew said. Laura nodded.

"You should get some rest. You've had a long night." Andrew told her.

"After you've something to eat." Ji Hoon said, noting her pale tired face.

"Right, I'll whip up something. You two rest." Andrew said. Laura leaned on Ji Hoon's good shoulder. Ji Hoon threaded his fingers in her hand.

"Think he knows about us?" Laura asked in a quiet voice.

"He knows. I gotta remember to thank him for this later." Ji Hoon said, squeezing her hand. She gave him a little peck on the neck and closed her eyes.

 She gave him a little peck on the neck and closed her eyes

It was late in the evening when Laura woke up. She was surprised to find herself in her old bedroom, surrounded by all her childhood memories – pictures on the walls, her old books, even a chest of her old toys. It felt like she had gone back in time – her stepfather had maintained her room exactly as she had left it.

She turned and found Ji Hoon on the other side, apparently fast asleep. She stirred slowly to get up without waking him but he spoke with his eyes closed.

"Getting up already?" he asked. She buried herself back in bed.

"I thought you were asleep." She said. He lifted his arm around her waist.

"I wasn't." he replied.

"Then what were you doing?" she asked.

"Listening to your heartbeat." He answered calmly. Laura looked at him with a tender look.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because it assures me you're safe and healthy." He said easily. Laura gave a soft laugh and tucked her head under his neck.

"How can I convince you?" she asked. His lips tugged up and he touched her neck.

"I already know," he said, feeling her pulse. She took his hand and brought it to her lips.

I'm glad you came into my life, even if you appeared as stealthily as a ninja." she said, kissing his knuckles.

"What?" he asked with a laugh.

"You fight like one, don't you?" she teased. "And you appeared out of nowhere. You came into my life one night and rather than waking up from a dream, I woke up to one instead." Laura said. "But sometimes I feel like this dream might slip away from me – and I can't hold onto it."