Chapter 21 Desperate Times

Ji Hoon froze at that name. Andrew also looked shocked.

"How do you know that name?" Ji Hoon growled into the phone.

"Ah, your little friends from Korea paid me a visit. You see, they want their property back. A little trinket you stole from them." Giovanni said in a smooth tone. Ji Hoon gritted his teeth.

"Where's Laura?!" he shouted.

"My, my, you have quite the temper. Good. You and I share that in common. After all, a man's not a man, if he has no fire."

"Enough games. You tell me where Laura is or I snap the necks of all your men here." Ji Hoon said in a dark tone.

"Oh, but I love games. I live for the thrill of them. Tell you what. Why don't I ruffle your feathers a bit, hmm?" the next moment a voice screamed.

"Ji Hoon! Don't listen to him! Don't you dare come after me!" Laura's voice sent a jolt through Ji Hoon.

"Laura!" he shouted.

"I see you care for her as much as she cares for you... Tell you what Romeo. You give up the trinket you stole and I might consider letting your Juliet live."

You filthy little -" Ji Hoon called him a string of curse names.

"Tsk tsk. Watch your language. If you want to see Miss Talavera alive again, you will play my game." Ji Hoon swore aloud and punched the wall. He would have to give in to Vultaggio. He had no choice.

"I'll take that as a yes. Excellent. Now here's what you will do. You will disarm yourself and come to the location I tell you - alone. You will bring the evidence on the OIS and you will give yourself up, in exchange for Miss Talavera's life." Giovanni instructed.

"Fine." Ji Hoon said through clenched jaws. He heard Laura screaming in protest in the background.

"No Ji Hoon! Don't!"

"Don't worry Laura. Trust me." he said hoping she'd hear. Vultaggio simpered.

"Aww, the tragic romance of young love. How touching."

"You better hope your skull's made of iron Vultaggio, because if I get my hands on you, I'll break it." Ji Hoon growled.

"Your threats are amusing at best. I suppose a cornered panther would snarl. Now, shall we get down to business? Here is your clue. If you decipher it, you will find your beloved. If not..." Vultaggio chuckled darkly over the phone before continuing, "she dies at sunrise." Ji Hoon squeezed his eyes.

"Tell me where to go." He said controlling himself. Vultaggio sounded satisfied.

"You're cooperating at last. Excellent. The OIS said you had a breaking point. Very well. Here is your first clue. Behind every erotic condemnation there's a burning hypocrite."

"Yes, only a hypocrite would quote that." Ji Hoon spat.

"Now now, manners. Your sweetheart is under my gunpoint." Vultaggio said. Ji Hoon swallowed listening patiently.

"Next - It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; it's the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time." Andrew gave a look of illumination.

"And finally - the road to success is always under construction. An intelligent spy like you should figure it out. After all, your sweetheart's life is on the line. I shall expect you before dawn. Arrivederci, Rogue Ranger." Vultaggio hung up.

"I know what they mean." Andrew said. "The first clue is referring to Jason Talavera. He's the one who initiated the renovation project, condemning a twentieth of the city's old and worthless buildings."