Chapter 14 Life with a Spy

Laura walked back and forth trying to control the suffocating feeling rising from her chest. She breathed with difficulty through her mouth, her hands clasped together in a white-knuckled ball. Ji Hoon was seated at the dining table, watching her with keen eyes.

"We have to go back." Laura said finally.

"We can't." Ji Hoon said in a calm voice.

"I can't just ignore it like this! What if they're hurt? What if something happens to my stepfather –"

"The news said he was still alive in the hospital." Ji Hoon replied calmly. Laura swallowed heavily.

"I can't stay here while people suffer there! I have to go!" she cried. Ji Hoon stood up, slamming his fists on the table.

"Laura, don't you understand yet?" he asked, his tone finally crackling with impatience. "My job is to protect you! We can't do anything for them now. Don't forget, you're still in danger. Do you want all your stepfather's effort to keep you safe to be wasted by going back and putting yourself in danger?"

"How can you not care?!" She cried. "This happened because of me. Because my father was being threatened, because they wanted me! And now people are hurt because of me... and I can't even do anything about it!" she broke into earnest sobs and turned away. Ji Hoon's anger contracted. He walked towards her and put his hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean it like that. You just have to trust that your father will be fine, okay?" he gently turned her to face him. He wiped her wet cheeks with the back of his hand before thumbing them in small strokes. Laura looked up at him with full eyes.

"It's okay. Things are gonna be okay." Ji Hoon said softly, pulling her into his arms. She leaned into his chest silent tears falling on his shirt. Ji Hoon tightened his embrace, patting her shoulder.

"You've been through a lot. It's okay to let it out. You can cry, rant or do whatever you want to feel better. I don't mind." He whispered into her hair. Laura held him closer, her fingers clenching his shirt.

"Please... stay like this for a moment." She said in a small voice. Ji Hoon stroked her hair.

"Take your time." He said. The tears slowly stopped and Laura drew comfort from his protective stance. He was like a strong pillar to cling to, a comforting figure of reassurance. She hadn't found support like this since her mother left; the deep human need for someone, for something she could rely on in the hardest of times. A shoulder to cry on. She had been emotionally alone ever since her mother remarried and afterwards her life had changed so dramatically she wondered if she would ever find someone trustworthy who she could share her heart with. And yet, with Ji Hoon she found all that needed which she had kept buried for so long because she didn't have anyone to lean on.

"Ji Hoon?" she called through his shirt.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me." Ji Hoon said, his voice tight. Laura withdrew a little to meet his eyes.

"Just let me, this once." She said. Ji Hoon nodded after a minute.

"So... we can't tell anybody where we are?" Laura asked calmly this time.

"No." Ji Hoon said quietly.

"We can't go back?"

"No."

"We're on our own, aren't we?" Ji Hoon nodded silently at her question. Laura sighed.

"At least I have you. I'd hate to be alone at a time like this." She said, trying to smile. Ji Hoon looked like he was trying hard to quell his emotions.