Chapter 7 Roommates, Refreshments and Revenge

Fort Estienne wasn't uncomfortable; on the contrary, it could be accurately described as luxurious. But down to earth Laura found a king sized bed and spacious rooms empty and daunting. The first few nights she barely got any sleep due to the fact that she was not in familiar quarters and woke up rubbing her aching ribs. She checked her watch on the bedside table – it showed twenty minutes past midnight. A good six hours till daybreak. She stood up putting on her dressing gown and slowly padded outside her room. Ji Hoon's room was right opposite hers separated by a stretch of twelve feet or so. She noticed his light was on under the door and wondered what he was doing still up. Maybe he didn't get any sleep either...

She tiptoed down to the dining room for some water but what she was really craving was a hot drink. She checked the cabinets for cocoa powder or even coffee but all she found was a variety of teas – earl grey, lemon and green. She scrunched her face in distaste. She so disliked those teas, they tasted so artificial. She shut the cupboard with a sigh. It was too much to suppose her stepfather would've remembered to stock up on the groceries she actually used back home.

"Laura, what are you doing?" Ji Hoon's voice startled her and she spun around quickly.

"Ji – Ji Hoon! You're still awake..." she said awkwardly.

"Are you okay? Did you want something?" he asked.

"Yeah I'm fine, I just couldn't sleep... I was looking for some coffee... we're all out though. I should remember to get some next time I go shopping."

"Felix will get that for you. But right now if it's coffee you want, I have some stock. It's nothing posh, just regular Americano packets. But there's plenty." Laura smiled.

"Thanks."

"Follow me, I have a kettle in my room." He said. She trekked back upstairs to his room. With surprise she found it was smaller than hers, though only natural since hers was the master bedroom. It was also cozier and Ji Hoon had infiltrated it with his scanty personal belongings but still it felt homier than hers.

"Your room is a lot better than mine." She said looking around. He gestured for her to sit on the couch.

"Really? You're in a master bedroom and you like this?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, it's more comfortable." Laura said. Ji Hoon put the kettle on and stared at the table.

"You really are down to earth..." he said softly so she wouldn't hear. "What was your old apartment like?"

"A bit like this – not like something out of a hotel catalogue." Laura said. Ji Hoon brought her the coffee and sat on the bed opposite her, sipping his own.

"Mmm... I haven't had coffee in ages." Laura said, inhaling the cup with contentment. Ji Hoon laughed.

"It's just a coffee." He said. "I thought you'd be more used to thousand dollar export coffee beans or something." He said. Laura's face furrowed.

"That's a pretty inaccurate assumption. I thought you were good at reading people." She said. Ji Hoon realized he made a mistake.

""Ah, I didn't mean it like that. Usually when people try something better, they can't go back to the ordinary." He rectified.

"Consuming expensive food isn't necessarily better." Laura said. "I like the ordinary." Ji Hoon smiled and tapped his forehead.

"I'll keep that in mind." He said.

"Why, are you profiling me?" she asked.

"Not exactly. It's just something I do, getting to know the people I work with." Ji Hoon said after a long sip of his coffee.