Chapter 10 Lady of the Hour

⬆️ Featured soundtrack.

The car ride was quiet as they drove to the St. Regis Hotel. Laura kept her eyes fixed on the window, too nervous to look at Ji Hoon.

"Ah, this car is seriously cool. It's a good thing you gave Felix the day off; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to drive it." Ji Hoon said to make conversation. He was driving an Aston Martin Rapid S, the car Laura had picked out earlier that afternoon. She had wanted to buy a new car anyway, being driven around by a chauffeur was too tedious rather excessive in the attention grabbing sector. But when her stepfather heard about it, he insisted she go to a showroom of his choice and pick a car out.

"Everything in here costs six figures..." Ji Hoon muttered as they browsed through the cars.

"That's my stepfather for you." Laura said wearily. "I'll try to pick the most ordinary looking car."

"Wait, since the category is so good, might as well get the car with the best specs." Ji Hoon suggested.

"But I don't know anything about cars."

"Then leave it to me." Ji Hoon said with a wink. 

"Ah welcome, welcome, Miss Talavera. I hope you like the selection of cars I picked out for you. Feel free to touch them." the showroom manager guzzled as he came near. Ji Hoon instinctively stepped in front of Laura with a subtle motion, shielding her with his body.

"Thank you Mr. – Alonzo." Laura said, reading his name tag. "We'll just browse for a while." She turned to Ji Hoon.

"Any ideas?" she asked. Ji Hoon guided her in front of him while studying the cars.

V12 has better acceleration than a V8... a torque of three thousand minimum is necessary... needs a minimum of two hundred mph... four doors is safer though, comfort in mind... Ji Hoon calculated in his mind. He stopped in front of a black sedan.

"This looks decent." He said. Laura raised an eyebrow. Was he really picking a car that simply looked good?

"Yes yes, the Aston Martin Rapid S. good choice. Top in comfort, good for speed and very smooth for a couple going on long journeys or dates." Mr. Alonzo said, rubbing his hands. Laura coughed.

"Then it's perfect for us." Ji Hoon said with a smile. Laura turned to whisper to him as Mr. Alonzo moved away to bring the paperwork.

"Any reason you want me to play along?" she asked.

"The less people know I'm your bodyguard the better." He said. He volunteered no more on the subject so she kept quiet, nodding silently as Mr. Alonzo praised them as a lovely couple.

"You're the one who suggested it..." Laura muttered in the car later that night.

"It was a good investment. If we ever need a quick getaway, this thing can make it." Ji Hoon said. Laura turned to him sharply, her thoughts refocusing.

"Is that why you picked it?" she asked on a graver note. "In case I'm in danger?"

"With Armormax bulletproof glass, this car is perfect." Ji Hoon continued. Laura sighed. She had liked the sleek black car for how it looked at first; now she just felt like another part of her life was getting wrapped around her safety.

"We're here." Ji Hoon said, stopping in the valet parking area. "You're sure you're okay with this?" Laura knew he was talking about them pretending to be a couple. She raised her head and took a deep breath.