Chapter 8 Behind Red Curtains

A little red envelope was waiting on the dining table one morning when Laura came down stairs. Ji Hoon, who was already seated at the table drinking his coffee, pointed it out to her.

"It looks like you have mail."

"Mail? For me?" Laura asked in confusion. As far as she knew, there was no one who would write to her - her mom could just video chat her any time of the day or night if she wanted.

"It's an invitation, if I had to take a guess." Ji Hoon said. With furrowed brows, Laura opened the envelope. It was, as Ji Hoon guessed, an invitation to see the New York philharmonic orchestra.

"Oh." She said in recognition. "I've been wanting to go for so long..."

"What is it?"

"Tickets to a concert." She said, holding them up. "I wonder who sent them..." Ji Hoon got a text on his phone and read it.

Mr. Talavera sent tickets to a concert tonight. Miss Talavera will likely go and you're the escort.

"Daebak." Ji Hoon muttered, mildly impressed by Andrew's timing as he replied to Laura's question with such coincidental time. He looked up at her.

"Your stepfather sent them. And I'll be your date for tonight." He said.

"Oh, er..." Laura felt hesitant. Going to a concert alone with her bodyguard didn't seem right - it was almost like a date...

"You are going, right?" Ji Hoon asked, seeing the doubt in her face.

"Yes, of course." Laura replied. She couldn't miss this even if she had to go with a bodyguard instead of a boyfriend. She had been looking forward to the concert for months and it had been so hard to get tickets. She had to remember to thank her stepfather later. She turned to Ji Hoon.

"Quick question, do you have a tux?"

David Geffen Hall, the iconic venue for the famed philharmonics, was packed to capacity as well dressed crowds swarmed in to take their seats for the concert

David Geffen Hall, the iconic venue for the famed philharmonics, was packed to capacity as well dressed crowds swarmed in to take their seats for the concert. Laura filed in as well, dressed in a simple navy blue formal gown, befitting the extravagant event. Beside her, Ji Hoon followed, taking long but slow strides to keep up with her smaller steps. He looked heartbreakingly incredible in the glossy black tux, but the look of distaste which he made little effort to hide marred his otherwise perfect appearance. The reason for this distaste was his unfamiliarity with such posh superficial settings for the only concerts he had been to were the ones with bass guitars and drums played by tattooed and pierced artists.

"Where are you going?" Laura asked as she saw Ji Hoon trail off towards the main entrance into the hall.

"Inside?" He replied, confused. She smiled.

"We have prime seats in our own box up there." She said, pointing to the upper floors. Ji Hoon turned back and followed her.

"Oh, great." He said impassively. Laura felt amused.