CHAPTER III: why don't we change things up?

⋆🏁⋆

⋆🏁⋆

══════ PAST ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

🛑     TW : none.

╔═════ ▓▓ 🚦↬

↫🚦 ▓▓ ═════╝

↫🚦 ▓▓ ═════╝

Y/N'S FEET PEDALED AT A slightly hurried pace, fast walking passed all the small clusters of people who were working different jobs within the stadium, preparing for a race that was going to occur later. y/n finally opened the white door to the office areas where their office was located, feet tapping against the grey carpets to their office door.

once you got there, instantly reaching into your pocket to take out your keys, you felt a weight on your shoulder. "excuse me, are you y/n?" you heard an unfamiliar deep voice speak out. when you turned around to face them, their hand let go of you. you took a brief second to take in their facial features: chocolate brown eyes, dark brown, neatly done hair, and an impeccably tall height and somewhat broad shoulders. not gonna lie, he was pretty handsome. and you could smell the faintest trail of cologne on him.

by the way they were dressed and the fact that they were in the office area, you assumed they were a manager or corporate of some sort. "yes. that's me." you said with a nod. you watched their lips contort to a smile, eyes lighting up. "that's perfect! nice to meet you. my name is king. i'm a manager here." king introduced himself, sticking his hand out. you switched your tool box over to your non dominant hand in order to shake his hand with a polite smile.

"may i talk with you for a moment? i have a deal for you since i'm in need of pit crew members." king offered softly. your eyes lit up at those words, curiosity peaking. "sure! can i put this in my office first?" you gestured towards the tool box in your hand, prompting  king to nod and step away from you. you took no time in unlocking the door and setting your toolbox down on the floor next to your desk, coming straight back out and following king to his office.

once you entered, he gestured to the chair at the front of his desk, prompting you to sit down across from him. "so you're part of a pit crew already right? i got your name from last race." king questioned, leaning back slightly in his chair as he stared at you with all his attention. "yes. i work for dream." "i see." king nodded, clicking his tongue a bit and playing with the rings on his fingers. "well, if you'd like to switch over to my pit crew, you have the option to. not permanently though. i just ask you to work for me for one race. the next one coming up since i don't wanna make you switch today. the next race i'll pay you..." king continued staring at you intently, trying to calculate a good number in his mind.

"you normally get $5,000 per race?" king asked. you shook your head. "$7,000." with that response, king raised his eyebrows. "i've worked with dream for a while and i'm his only mechanic on crew, so i get extra pay." you explained. "ohhh. i see. you're special." king muttered. "well then.. i'll pay you $10,000 for next race. if you decide to drop by for a second time or more, i'll increase the pay to $12,000." king suggested, fixing his posture. your expression contorted into a surprised one upon hearing the numbers. "that's as much pay as a crew chief." you said, baffled.

king chuckled at your reaction. "yeah. i pay my members well. especially you since you might be temporary, or you have the choice to come back. i can tell you're talented." king said, shrugging off the money like it was nothing. "like i said, i only ask for you to be with me for one race. after that, you can do whatever you please, sweetheart." king folded his hands on the table as he spoke. you took a moment to contemplate, looking away from king. after a moment of silence, you made up your mind.

"i'll do it." you decided, turning back to king to see a smile stretching out on his lips. "it's a deal then." king said, reaching his hand out. you two shook hands, closing off the decision. afterwards, you exited king's office, turning around while walking away to wave. king waved back from his doorframe, leaning on it to watch your back profile becoming smaller and smaller with the distance that was closing in between you.

when you arrived back at your office door, you were immediately greeted by a familiar figure. "sam?" you called out, seeing the police officer turn around and flash you a friendly smile. "hey y/n/n!" the blondie responded, the two of you sharing a warm hug. "what are you doing here?" you asked as you two pulled away, smiles still plastered on your faces. "haven't seen you in a while. thought i'd drop by. i already visited your father so-" sam went on, starting conversation. you two stayed by the outside of your office, talking until sam had to go, and you had to get ready to go to the pit.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

w.c.: 800+