1

Samantha

Summer vacation is almost over. School life starts again tomorrow. I have to survive another year and then I'm done. Now that I enjoy the sun in the garden, from my lounger. I'm lost in a book when I'm distracted by the house phone. I try to ignore it, but when it goes for the fifth time I put my book aside and walk inside. "Who is this?". I do not recognize the number that is displayed. "It's me. Your mother". I can barely hold on to the kitchen bar to keep from falling through my legs. "Kristen I know you're still there". My whole body starts to tremble when I hear that after a few minutes. "What do you want?". Can I utter in a trembling voice. "I hope you keep the house tidy. Someone will come to live with you tomorrow." I don't know what I hear. "What?". "Oscar's daughter needs accommodation. She'll be there tomorrow at the end of the day." My body is shaking harder and harder and trying to process everything. "Who is Oscar, a complete stranger that comes to live here". "Oscar is my friend". "H-how's it going with Jace?". " He is doing well". After she says that, I hang up. I can no longer stand on my trembling legs. I lower myself against the bar. I grab my knees and make myself as small as possible. The tears are unstoppable.

I had another bad night. "What happened?". Lara, my best friend, asks as soon as I get into her car. I'm not surprised she can see it right on my face. She is always right when something is wrong. "Sam what is it?". I can hear the concern in her voice if I don't answer right away. "My mother, nightmare". I can barely get it out. "Have you had another nightmare about your mother?". She knows that normally my nightmares are mostly about my father. I quickly wipe away my tears that had escaped. "Yes and she called yesterday". Lara looks at me wide-eyed when I say that. "What?". I don't really want to talk about it. "We have to go". I say and Lara starts driving. "Why did she call?". I sigh once. "Notify me that someone is coming to live with me from today." Lara's big eyes are back. "What who?". I shrug. "Her boyfriend's daughter. I didn't even know she has a boyfriend. I don't know who his daughter is, I'll find out tonight. Let's stop talking now." I then show her my trembling hands.

After half an hour we arrived at school and there we part ways. Today we only have the last two hours together. I get through the first lessons surprisingly well. "Do you want to talk about it?". Lara asks as we sit under a tree during our lunch break. I shake my head. "Not here at school". Lara nods in understanding. "Do you want me to come over tonight?". I'm glad she asks. "Yes please. I don't like to be alone with a complete stranger. Are you asking if Casper is coming too?". Lara nods. "I'll be there around eight o'clock and Casper will probably come along". Then we talk about anything and everything until the bell rings. We walk to maths together. We take a seat in the back row of the room. The teacher then starts talking. "I'm so tired and that voice doesn't help either." I say to Lara as I lay my head on the table.