17

Samantha

I wake up in Skyler's arms. With one arm she holds me tight against her and with her other hand she strokes my arm. I grab her hand. "Did you get some sleep?" I nod and play with her fingers a bit. "Do I have to make you something to eat?" I shrug. "I'd rather stay here with you for a while." She gives me a kiss on top of my head. "Okay, but you really need to eat something later." I nod and we lie in silence. I watch our fingers play a little together and regularly feel Skyler's lips on top of my head. "Come, I'll run a bath for you and then I'll make something to eat." Skyler says after half an hour I think. "I'll just jump in the shower." I say as I roll off her. "Okay, then I'll see you downstairs." I nod and then go to the bathroom.

I've been in the shower for a long time. I tried to sort everything out again. I'm moving down slowly now. "Hey". I say as soon as I enter the kitchen. Skyler is startled and puts her hands to her face for a moment and then turns around. "Hey". She says softly and I see that she is crying. "Sorry". I say as I walk over to her and hug her tightly. "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't come home." My tears are now flowing again. "Shh, I don't want to think about that. I was there and everything will be fine." She squeezes me even tighter against her. "I want to talk to you about it later." I just nod and we stay like that for a while. "Uhm Sky the food is burning". Skyler lets go of me right away and goes to the gas stove. "Shit". I sit on a stool and watch Skyler cook. "Skyler why did you kiss me?". When I ask, she turns off the gas and seems to think for a moment. Then she turns and stands between my legs. She starts playing with my hair nervously. "I couldn't control myself. It shouldn't have happened, sorry." She says it looking me in the eye and I nod. I put my hands on her hips and pull her closer to me. "I get it. Then we are now equal. It can't happen again?". She shakes her head hesitantly. "Sorry". I can see how hard it is for her too. We put our foreheads together and look deeply into each other's eyes. Without saying anything to each other we know that we feel the same, but that we can't do anything about it. We are taken out of our moment when the doorbell rings. "I'll walk. Can you drain the pasta?" I nod and Skyler kisses my forehead and then walks out of the kitchen.

I've just drained the pasta, when Skyler stands in the doorway. "It's Lara. Can I let her in?" I sigh and then nod. "It couldn't be anyone else who has such bad timing." Skyler gives me a smile and then walks away. "Samantha I would like to talk to you". Lara says as soon as she enters the kitchen with Skyler. "Will you join us for dinner?". Lara nods when I ask and then sits down at the bar. "Everything okay between us?". Skyler has come up behind me and whispers  in my ear and I nod. "You sit down too. I'll serve the food." Skyler puts her hands on my shoulders and guides me to one of the bar stools. Not much later she puts a plate of food in front of Lara and me. Then she comes up behind me and wraps her arms around my waist. "I'll leave you two alone. If you need me I'll be in the living room." I nod and then Skyler looks at Lara. "Do you make sure she eats? She hasn't eaten anything today." Lara nods when Skyler asks her. Skyler kisses my temple, grabs her plate, then walks out of the kitchen.

There is an awkward silence in the kitchen. I start to play with my food. "Sam you have to eat. I don't want to get into a fight with Skyler." I give Lara a small smile. "Sorry for today". Lara shakes her head when I say that. "I'm the one who has to say sorry. I should have been more considerate of you, especially because of what day it is tomorrow. Shouldn't have touched you all the time and especially not said all those things." I sigh. "It was your right to say those things. You can tell me that it hurts you, that you can't touch me and that if you do, I'll be so angry at you". Lara shakes her head hard. "Samantha that's not what hurts me. It hurts me to see you like this and I can't help you." She says with tears in her eyes. "You're always there for me. That's more than enough." We both have tears rolling down our cheeks now. "Shit, I've had enough tears now." Lara gives me a smile when I say that. "I think tears have been flowing here all day, don't they? At least that's what your and Skyler's eyes look like." I nod when Lara says so. "Why was Skyler in a hurry to get home? I saw her running down the hall." I shrug and start playing with my food again. "Samantha?". I sigh. "I think she could hear on the phone that things weren't going well." I can feel Lara looking at me. "Was it so bad that there was such a rush?" I think for a moment whether I should respond to it and then nod once. Then there is silence and after a while I look up at Lara. She's in tears. "What have you done?". I shake my head when she asks. I don't want to talk about it. "Sam what have you done?". I sigh. "Nothing". I then look at my plate again. "Samantha don't lie to me". I can hear the pain in her voice. "Nothing happened. Skyler got home just in time. I'm so sorry." I say as I burst into tears again. "What are you sorry for? That Skyler was on time or what?". I shake my head. "No Lara. I'm sorry I sunk so low. I'm sorry I saw no way out but to knock back pills with a bottle of wine." I can barely manage to get through my sobs. "You know we're always there for you, right? That you can always count on me, Casper and Skyler. We love you Sam. Everyone has rough moments, but that's why you have your friends. Promise me you'll never do this does again". I nod when she says that. "How close was Skyler?". I only look at Lara when she asks. "Samantha how close was she?". I shake my head. "On time, all right. Now let's have dinner. I don't feel like making Skyler angry." Lara nods and we continue eating. We're leaving the subject behind and we're talking lighthearted things.

After we finish dinner, Lara and I walk into the living room together. "May we join?". I ask Skyler. She is lying on the couch, with her legs stretched out, reading a book under a blanket. "Only if you've eaten". She gives me a wink. "She has emptied her whole plate". Lara then says with a smile. "Then you are welcome." When Skyler says that, she lifts her blanket. "Will you come and sit with me?". I nod with a smile on my face. Skyler spreads her legs a bit so I can sit between them. Immediately she places a hand on my stomach and I feel her lips on top of my head. Lara sits down in a chair opposite us. "Have you talked it out?" Lara and I nod. "She has also promised me that she will never do anything like that again." I glance at Skyler when Lara says that. I immediately see the tears in her eyes again. "Can we put that behind us for now please and go watch a movie or something?" Luckily we don't talk about it anymore after I say that. I've put on a movie that Lara and I are watching. Skyler is reading while playing with my hair. Every so often she gives me a kiss on top of my head. I turn my face to her. "I feel like giving you a kiss." I whisper to Skyler, who gives me a small smile and shakes her head. "I know, but we can't do that. I wish it were different." I look sad and then Skyler gives me a kiss on my forehead. I then look at Lara who is watching us with a smile on her face. "What?". I ask her. "Nothing. I just get happy when I see you two sitting like this". I give her a smile back and then continue watching the film in silence.

The movie is over and Skyler and I walk with Lara to the door. As soon as we're in the hall, Skyler comes up behind me and wraps her arms around my waist and rests her chin on my shoulder. It instantly puts a smile on my face. "I'm glad you came Lara. I'm sorry about everything today." Lara gives a small smile when I say that. "You know by now that whatever happens between us, things will be okay. I assume you'll never do that other thing again. That when you feel that way again, you'll come to one of us. No matter how hopeless it is. We are here for you Samantha". I get a kiss on my temple from Skyler when Lara says so. "Thank you. You really mean a lot to me." I say. "Now sleep well and see you tomorrow." When Lara says that, Skyler shakes her head. Me and Lara look at her in surprise. "I have a day off tomorrow. Actually I shouldn't say it, but maybe it's better that you stay home tomorrow too." she then says. "Yeah, maybe that's the wise thing to do." I say. "I think that is indeed a good idea. I'll see you again on Saturday". With that said, Lara leaves.

I'm getting through the anniversary of my brother's death quite well and I owe that mainly to Skyler. I really wouldn't know what to do without her. We looked at pictures of my brother all day and talked a lot. Especially a lot about what I've done and that I've been very stupid. We're trying to put it behind us now and I've promised that if there's anything wrong, I'll come to her.