19

Samantha

Lara and I are watching a movie on the laptop when Skyler walks into the room. "Oh hey ladies". I don't think she expected Lara in the room here. "Sorry you don't mind that I'm in your room, do you?". If Lara also asks, I think she has the same feeling. "No, I don't mind". Skyler says as she walks towards the bathroom. "Uhm Sammy I'm going to take a quick shower. Are you ready to go after that?". I nod and then she disappears into the bathroom. Lara then looks at me. "What?". Lara laughs. "I'd better ask you. What are you two going to do?". I shrug. "Skyler wanted to go out together tonight". Lara looks at me again with the look that only she can give me. "Nice. Can I come too?". She gives me a wink and I shake my head. "Ooo do you have a date?". she asks with a smile. "No, we're just going out for the evening with just the two of us". I say with a sigh and Lara looks at me understandingly. "And that was Skyler's idea?". I nod. "That was the condition, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in her room." Lara smiles again. "You do understand what this means, don't you?" I shake my head. "It means a lot that she wants to go out with you and then also while we are away with school. That is a very big risk for her, but she still wants it. You know what I mean?". I hadn't looked at it that way and then I nod. "Well I'm off. Have a nice evening and be patient with her". I nod. "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow." Then Lara leaves the room.

Not much later, Skyler comes out of the bathroom. "Ready to go?". She asks a bit nervously. "Of course". I jump out of bed and quickly put on my shoes and coat. "Where are we going?". I ask as soon as we walk outside together. "We'll take a taxi a bit further down the road. I know a nice spot somewhere, where we can sit on the terrace and go for a walk. Where we certainly won't meet anyone from school. Is that okay for you?". I nod. "Sounds absolutely perfect". I get a nice smile in response. I'm starting to get a little nervous now. At first I thought Skyler really didn't mean this as a date, but after Lara's words I'm not so sure anymore. Skyler's nervous behavior also tells me that this could be a date.

We have been in the taxi for half an hour and we are now sitting at the terrace. Skyler was right. It is a nice spot, next to a park. We both have a glass of wine and share a bowl of different ice creams. Skyler has rested her head on my shoulder and her hand is on my knee playing with some loose threads from my pants. I put my arm around her and rest my head against hers. "What are you thinking of?". Skyler shrugs when I ask. "To so much, but not something I can put into words now." She says with a sigh. "Okay. Don't you want any more ice cream? You haven't had that much yet." She shakes her head. "I have to move for that and I'm actually comfortable like this". I laugh when she says that. "Then we'll do it like this." I scoop some ice cream onto my spoon and hold it up to her mouth. "Mmm thank you". She says, after taking a bite. "Have you been to Paris before?". I shake my head when she asks. "I've never crossed the border more than a week camping in Belgium. You?". Meanwhile, I hold the spoon in front of her mouth again. "Yes, I have already made quite a few city trips. I used to go out regularly for a weekend". "Why don't you do that now?". She shrugs. "I don't mind being at home right now." That answer puts a smile on my face. "Would you like to go on a city trip together sometime?". I ask a little nervous. Skyler turns her head slightly and looks at me with a smile. "Sounds like a good plan." Which also makes me smile a lot. "Fancy a walk?". I nod when Skyler asks after a while. "Okay I'll be right back. I'll pay and then we can go". I want to grab my wallet when Skyler says so. "No Samantha. I invited you tonight, so I'll pay." She says, shaking her head and then walks inside.

We've been walking in silence for a while, when I suddenly feel Skyler grab my hand. I look to one side and Skyler gives me a small smile. We don't say anything else and walk hand in hand. "Are you cold?". I shrug when she asks. "A little, it's okay." Skyler then stops walking. "Would you like to wear my sweater? My jacket is thicker and I still have a shirt underneath it." I shake my head. "It's really not necessary. I'm not that cold." Skyler then comes up behind me and wraps her arms around my waist. "Does this also work?". I nod. "This works perfectly". I say with a smile. "Thank you for this date". I say softly, when we've been staring ahead for a while, in each other's arms. "Samantha please don't call it a date." She says with a sigh. "Why not?". I ask. "Because I can't go on a date with a student". I then turn around in her arms and look into her eyes. I can see how hard it is for her. "Then what is this?". She shrugs. "A night out with....". She doesn't finish her sentence. "with?". She then lays her forehead against mine. "With someone I really like". I give her a smile. "And that's okay?". She shakes her head. "So this is a date?" Skyler hesitates for a moment, then she nods. "Why do you keep fighting it like that, Skyler? I promise no one will find out." She lets go of me and tries to walk away, but I hold her tightly against me. "Sky does running away make you happy? If so...". I can't finish what I wanted to say. "Sshh". Skyler puts her forehead against mine again and closes her eyes. After a minute a tear runs down her cheek. I gently wipe it away with my thumb. "Sorry Sammy. Please give me some more time. It's a mess in my head." she says as she opens her eyes and looks at me. "I'll give you all the time you need." We then remain in silence for a while. We walk for a while and then it is time to go back to the hotel. It was a nice evening. It is the first time that Skyler has clearly admitted that she has feelings for me. I really understand her and I will wait for her.