4

Skyler

Now I know why that name sounded so familiar to me. "Uhm. Hey Samantha. I'm looking for Kristen Hofman. Is that your sister?". I see how Samantha's hands start to tremble and I quickly grab them. "Hey calm down". I say calmly and Samantha looks at me with wide eyes. "Don't ever call me that again." I let go of her hands in shock. "Are you....". I can barely contain myself to say the name. "Uhm are you the one I'm looking for?". She shrugs. "I don't know. Depends on why you're looking for me." I'll be glad when she seems calmer again. "I got this name and address from my father. He says I could live here for a while." She stares at me in disbelief for a moment. "What? Was that about you? You're not going to mean this." I run my hand through my long blond hair once. "Sorry I'm afraid so. I didn't see this coming either". If I say so, she'll let me in. I follow her to the kitchen. "Would you like to drink something?". I nod when she asks. "Yes please".

We have been sitting at the kitchen bar for a while and are just looking at each other without saying a word. That way I can get a good look at her face. She looks tired, but luckily I no longer see that fear in her beautiful eyes. I don't realize I'm staring at her until red-cheeked Samantha turns her face away. "How are your hands?" I'll start the conversation. Samantha then looks at her hands once. "The damage is minor." I can see they're pretty broken, but I feel like she doesn't want to talk about it. "Uhm do you live here alone?". She just nods without saying a word. "How old are you then?". I ask surprised. "Nineteen and you?". I give her a smile. Glad she's talking to me. "I'm twenty-five. How long have you been living here alone?" I am very curious about that. She shrugs. "I've lived here since I was 16. First with my brother and alone for about two years." I don't know what I hear. "I know your mother lives in England, but where are your father and brother? This is very young to live alone." "That's none of your business." She says and I see again how she starts to tremble. I reach over the bar and grab her hands. "Okay. I won't ask you about it again." I say softly and luckily she immediately calms down. "Thank you". I give her a small smile and let go of her hands. She then walks away. "Miss Reese, have you eaten yet?" she asks as she turns back around. "No not yet. And you can call me Skyler." She nods once. "There's still something in the fridge that you can warm up. I'll give you a tour later. I need to be alone for a while." I give her an understanding nod. "Thank you and I'll see you when you're ready."