9

Samantha

It takes ten minutes for Skyler to come back. She then comes to sit with me on the lounger. "I learned something on Monday and I'm not sure how to say it. I've owned something that's yours for two years." I look at her in surprise. "How can you have something that belongs to me for two years?" Skyler then seems to think. Then she holds her hands closed in front of her. Looks like there's something in it. "I want to explain something to you before I give it to you. I got this from someone and as soon as you see it you know who I'm talking about. He asked me to find you and give it to you. Due to circumstances i forgot, which I'll explain to you later if you want. when I was packing my things to leave for England three weeks ago I came across this again and I tried to find out his name. But I couldn't. Monday I saw something that tells me this is for you. I'm sorry I couldn't give it to you sooner." When she has said that, she opens her hands. There is a bag in it which she then gives to me. As soon as I have the contents of the bag in my hand, my tears begin to flow. Skyler lifts me onto her lap and holds me tight. I rest my head against her shoulder and she gently strokes my back. "I am so sorry". We sit like this for a while, until I break free from Skyler. I look at the ring in my hand. "How do you know my brother?". I ask through the sobs. "I didn't know him. I was in the taxi with him and he's in...". Then Skyler pauses. I see tears in her eyes now too. She closes her eyes for a moment. Then she looks at me. "He died in my arms." I don't really know what to say and tears are flowing in both of us. We hold each other tight again. We are both startled when the bell rings. "Shit that'll be Lara and Casper for the weekly movie night". I had no idea it was this late. "Shall I open the door? Then you have a little while to recover and we'll talk about it later, if you want." Skyler says as she wipes her tears and I nod.

I stare at the ring in my hands for a while. "What's the matter with you? Skyler looked so bad too." Lara says as soon as she and Casper sit down on the lounger opposite me. I look up to them. "Is that Bryan's ring?". I nod when Casper asks. Skyler then comes out. She gives Lara and Casper both a glass of soda and hands me a glass of wine, then she wants to walk away again. "Skyler do you want to sit with me?". Skyler turns when I ask and nods. She raises the back of the lounger a bit and sits with her back against it and throws her legs out long. I lay right next to her, with my head on her chest. So that I can look at Lara and Casper. I put my arm on Skyler's stomach, who gently strokes my hair.

"How did you get Bryan's ring?". It is Casper who breaks the silence after a while. I think for a moment he and Lara don't know what they're seeing. "She got it from me." Lara and Casper look surprised when Skyler says that after a while, when I keep quiet. "Do you want to hear the story now or do you want to wait until the two of us are alone?". Skyler asks me. "You can do it now if you want. I think those two are also curious." Referring to Lara and Casper, who both nod. "Okay. I can't tell you the whole story, simply because I can't remember everything. If I had, you probably would have had that ring a lot sooner. So like I told you, I was with your brother in the taxi. I don't remember anything about the accident itself From what I've heard he had to swerve for a crossing animal. Somehow I must have gotten out of the car and gone to him. I remember I tried to get your brother out of the car but I couldn't. I sat down next to him and held him. He was already dead before the emergency services got there. I had big cuts, so I now have scars on my stomach and chest. I also had a great blow to my head. I was in shock and everything was coming at me. Because of all those things together I couldn't remember anything I guess. Little by little more and more comes back. I only remember three weeks ago that he gave me his ring, because I then saw the ring again. That I should give it to his sister. I just couldn't remember any names. I searched the internet to see if I could find anything about him, but nothing. Monday I saw his picture in your bedroom and I saw him right away in my arms again. I knew then that ring was for you. I just didn't know how to tell you. I should have given you the ring on Monday, but I didn't know how and I'm so sorry I couldn't give it to you sooner." I shake my head in tears. "You didn't know and I get it Monday you couldn't. I am very happy that I have him now and that I now know that he did not die alone. Thank you for staying with him and holding him." Skyler then grabs me tight and kisses my head. "Sorry do you mind if I sit down at the piano for a while? I know we were actually going to watch a movie." I ask Lara and Casper as soon as the tears have stopped a bit. "No, of course not. Go ahead we get you. Otherwise we'll go home." Casper answers me. "You can still stay." I can still hear Skyler say, as I walk in already.