40

Skyler

After lunch break I quietly walk to my classroom. Two more classes to go and Monday is over. As soon as I get into the right hallway, I see a large group of students standing in front of my classroom. I speed up to see what's going on. I'm shocked when I've pushed through all the students and see what's going on. Samantha is curled up against the wall and is shaking violently. "Everyone to class NOW". I quickly unlock my classroom and my class enters. Fortunately, the rest of the students immediately listen and also leave for their classes. Now I can finally turn to Samantha. As soon as I want to grab her, she starts to fight. "Sammy calm down. It's me". I say softly, but as soon as I touch her again she punches me again. She also hits me well in the face and immediately feels the blood flowing from my nose. I try not to pay attention to it. I quickly look around to make sure no one else is around. "Sweetie, look at me." She doesn't react to it and just starts shaking harder and crying. In the meantime I take off my vest, to do something about my nosebleed. Then I grab her wrists so she can't hit again. "Sweetie please look at me". I say softly. It takes a while, but then she looks up. She immediately starts to cry even louder. "Hug". Is the only thing she can say through her sobs and I grab her right away. "Ssh it's okay sweetie. I'm with you. It'll be okay." I whisper softly in her ear. Samantha clings to me completely. "Let's go to my office. We can't sit here." Samantha nods. I then let go of her and quickly grab my vest, to wipe my face clean again. I get up and then help Samantha to get up too. She is shaking on her legs and I support her to my office. "Sweetie I'll be right back okay? I have to put the students to work and then I'll be back". I say calmly, after guiding her to the couch. She has completely curled up again and then see her nod.

I lock the door leading to the hallway first. Then take a deep breath and enter the classroom through the other door. As soon as I enter the room, everyone is immediately silent and they look at me with wide eyes. I signal to Lara to come with me and say nothing more. I walk to the sink at the front of the classroom to clear my face and hands a little. I'm so glad I'm still wearing black clothes today and you can't see how much I'm covered in blood. "Are you okay?". I nod to Lara who asks me in a whisper. "What happened to Samantha?". I ask her in a trembling voice. "Skyler, you're not okay. Look at yourself". Lara says softly, holding a towel to my nose. "It's just a nosebleed Lara". I say a bit irritated and she nods understanding that she should not continue. I then take the towel from her. "Thank you. But what happened to Samantha?". Lara shrugs. "She got a call. No idea who. Then she ran to the classroom and when the door was locked she collapsed. Where is she now?". "In my office. I'll be back to her in a minute. You sit back in your seat. If you can help, I'll call you right away." Lara then and returns to her seat. Then I go to the board and write something on it. "This is the homework for tomorrow. You can work on this quietly and when you're done you can do something for yourself in silence. I'm busy with something else". It is still very quiet in the classroom and everyone goes straight to work. I fill a glass of water for Samantha and then walk back to my office. "Take care of yourself Skyler. This isn't okay." Lara grabs my arm just before I go into the office and points to my nose. "It was my own fault Lara". She sighs. "I know what she can be capable of. Please just be careful." I nod. "Thank you. I'll be fine."

Back in my office I see Samantha nervously walking back and forth. "Sweetie, here's a drink." I say calmly and hand her the glass of water. Samantha looks at me with wide eyes. "Did I do that?". She says startled and her tears start flowing again. "It was my own fault". Samantha shakes her head hard and then walks to the locked door. "Sky please open that door. I don't deserve you. Look at what I've done to you. You must stay as far away from me as possible. I don't want to hurt you any more." I can hear how broken she is and she doesn't dare to look at me. My tears are flowing now too. I put the glass of water on a cupboard and then quietly walk towards Samantha. "Sweetie I want to open that door for you, but if you leave my office you'll break my heart. I know you don't want to hurt me. That nosebleed is my own fault and I don't feel a thing. It's just just a little blood. Please don't run away from me. I'm here for you. We'll get out of this together." Samantha shakes her head. "I don't want to hurt you, but look what I did to you." She's still looking at the ground and I walk closer to her. I then gently grab her face to make her look at me. "I know you don't want to hurt me. I should have thought better." Samantha shakes her head. I lay my forehead against hers. "Yes, sweetie. I know when you're in that state, I shouldn't just touch you. It really doesn't hurt me. It just keeps bleeding, but that's it. It'll stop soon." Then give her a small smile. "Really?". I nod and then run my nose up hers a few times. "Look I can still do this and it doesn't hurt me". That puts a small smile on Samantha's face. "You're crazy and I'm so sorry". She says and grabs me in a tight hug. "I know that sweetie. I love you. A little blood really doesn't change that." She squeezes me even closer to her. "I love you too". Then she bursts into tears again. With Samantha in my arms I walk to the couch. I sit down and pull Samantha onto my lap and hold her close to me.

So we sit on the couch in silence for a while. I gently stroke Samantha's back and she clung to me completely. Luckily my nose has stopped bleeding in the meantime. "Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Samantha leans back a little and looks at me. I gently wipe her tears from her face and she does the same to me. "Before you say it, I want a kiss. I've been longing for that all along." Samantha looks at me a little surprised. "Here? At school?". I nod. "Did you see how we sit here together? Then a kiss doesn't matter and I don't care at all that we're at school now." After I've said that, Samantha gives me a lovely kiss and then puts her forehead against mine. "Now I'd like to know what's going on." Samantha nods and gets off my lap to sit next to me. She pulls up her legs and wraps her arms around them. Her tears immediately start flowing again. "My lawyer called to say that my father will be released from prison on Friday." When she says that she breaks again and I grab her tight. "Sweetie I'm here for you. He won't hurt you anymore, I promise." I keep kissing her head and holding her tight. After a while she lays her head on my lap and I gently stroke her hair. Not much later she fell asleep.

I am startled when I hear the bell and not long after there is a knock on the door. "It's me, Lara. May I come in?" I'm relieved to hear it's Lara. "Yes of course come in". I try not to say too loud, so as not to wake Samantha. "How is it going?". Lara asks concerned and I give her a small smile. "She's asleep, so it's okay." Lara sits down on a chair. "Do you know what's up yet?". I nod. "The one who called was her lawyer, who informed her that her father will be released from prisson on Friday." Lara looks at me wide-eyed and can't say a word. "We can't leave her alone for the foreseeable future. I don't know what her father is capable of." Lara nods. "I completely agree with you. That man is crazy enough to visit her. I will also inform Casper right away tonight." Then Lara gets up again. "Do I have to go back to class or do I have to stay with Samantha?". I shake my head. "I'll stay with her. I just have to put the next class to work and then I'll be there for her again". Lara nods. "What?". I ask as she gives me a nervous smile. "I think the principal will be there in a minute. I think I just heard some kids say they were going to see him because they saw your nosebleed." I give her an understanding nod. "Thanks for the announcement and that was to be expected. Don't worry about that. I'll make sure Samantha doesn't get in trouble for it." Lara gives me a small smile. "I didn't expect anything else, but make sure you don't get yourself into trouble." I nod. "It's okay and you go to class quickly. Otherwise you're the one with troubles". Lara gives me a smile and leaves. So I get up very carefully, without waking Samantha. I put a pillow under her head and quickly put on another shirt that I have lying here and then go to my classroom.

When I enter my room, I also just see the principal with a colleague walking into the classroom. "Skyler, Derek is taking over your lesson. I've heard a few things. I think it would be better if you don't stand in front of the class for a while. Can we discuss what happened in your office?". It's the principal who says it and I nod. "Samantha is inside my office. I don't know if that's a problem." The principal gives me a small smile. "No, that's not a problem. It actually works out well." I quickly show my colleague where I am with the lesson and then walk to my office with the principal.