16

Skyler

We are now two weeks later and luckily nothing has changed between Samantha and me. We just continue to treat each other the same way. Which I am very happy with and that way we can also be good for each other. Tomorrow is the day the accident happened. That remains a difficult day, especially because it is also the anniversary of the death of Samantha's brother. She's been a bit moody the last few days, which I really don't blame her for. I can understand that and try to be there for her as best I can.
I am standing in front of my second grade of the day, when there is a knock on the door. "Miss Reese, do you have a moment?" I look at the door, which is now slightly open and I can just see Lara's face. I can see right away that something is going on. "You can start with assignments fifteen and sixteen. I'll be right back." I announce my class and then join Lara in the hallway. "Have you seen Samantha?". Lara asks me immediately stressed. I shake my head. "What is going on?". Lara sighs. "We had an argument and last class she ran away angry. She's been missing for an hour. I can't find her anywhere and she doesn't answer the phone. I hoped she had gone to you". she says with tears in her eyes. "I haven't seen her. Does she do this often?" Lara shrugs. "She often runs away angry, but then I can always find her. I've gone all the places she could be, but she's nowhere." Lara's tears are now starting to run down her face and I hug her for a moment. "I'll try to reach her, but you have to go to class now. Throw some water in your face and I'll let you know when I hear from her. Don't worry too much about it. It's coming alright". I tell her calmly, hoping she can't hear my concern. "Okay and I'll let you know when I know something." Lara says as she walks away. "Thank you". I call after her and then go back into the classroom. I walk straight to my desk to grab my phone and send Samantha a message.
-Samantha where are you?-

I then grab my book and stand in front of the class again. I put my phone on my book, so I can keep an eye on whether I get a response. After five minutes I still have nothing.

-Please Sammy let us hear from you-

I send to Samantha and have trouble keeping my head on work. I get through it and can finally put the students to work. I sit behind my desk and just stare at my phone. I don't know why, but it doesn't feel right. I'm happy when my screen suddenly lights up.

-almost home-

It's the only thing in it, but I'm glad she responds anyway. And I'm relieved she's gone home.

-everything OK?-

I immediately send back and also send Lara a message that Samantha is home. I get no response back from Samantha. I'm glad that the bell rings and it's break time. As soon as my room is empty, I'll call Samantha. I have to try four times, but then she picks up. "Samantha is everything okay?". I ask when there's silence on the other side. "Sammy please say something. You know you can tell me anything." She still doesn't say anything, but I can hear her crying. "I'm here for you Sammy. I don't have a class after break, do you want me to come to you?". I notice that I also have a hard time holding back my tears. "I want to be alone, but would you like to talk to me a little longer?". I can hear from Samantha's voice how broken she is. "Of course. I'll do anything for you." I start talking and then Lara enters my room. I tell her to be quiet. "I don't know what happened, but know that I'm here for you. Not just now, but always." I continue my story. "I Can't Take It Anymore Sky". I look at Lara for a moment and luckily she understands what I want. She leaves my room and closes the door behind her. "What can't you do anymore?". "Everything. I just disappoint everyone and hurt everyone." My tears run down my face. "Sammy that's not true. You know that too. Everyone has bad days. Me and Lara understand that these days are difficult for you. We want to be there for you. I want to be there for you. Please Sammy, let me help you." I can hear her cry louder and louder. "Sky I'm done with it. Sorry". When she says that, she hangs up.

After Samantha hung up, I packed my things and ran to the principal. A feeling inside says that something is not right. I reported that I have an emergency and luckily I was able to leave quickly. I jumped in the car. Partly because it is quiet on the road and I have stepped on the gas. I'll be home in twenty minutes. "SAMANTHA". I scream as soon as I open the front door. I get no response and I walk to the living room. I see her sitting there on the couch. I immediately notice that there is a bottle of wine on the table and she is doing something, but I can't see what. "Skyler what are you doing here. I told you I wanted to be alone. GO AWAY". After saying that, her hand goes to her mouth. I run to her as soon as I realize what she's doing. "Spit out Sammy". I knock her hand away from her mouth and look at her pleadingly, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Samantha please. This is not the solution." She doesn't dare to look at me, but luckily I don't see her swallow anything either. "I'm begging you. Please don't swallow that. I can't lose you. I've finally found what I've always been looking for. Sammy please I'm begging you." I got on my knees in front of her and grabbed her hands. "Please don't do it. We'll get through this together. I'm here for you Sammy." Finally she spits everything out of her mouth and hugs me tightly. "Thank you. Have you swallowed anything yet?" She shakes her head and bursts into tears. "It'll be fine, Sammy. I'll be with you." Can I just bring out through my own tears. I get up to sit on the couch too and lift Samantha onto my lap.

It takes at least half an hour until we both have calmed down a bit. All that goes through my mind is what would have happened if I hadn't gone home. I don't want to think about that. I haven't known Samantha that long, but I'm quite sure I can't live without her anymore. "I'm so sorry". I hear Samantha sobbing. "Ssh it's all right sweetheart, but please don't ever do this again". Meanwhile my phone rings for the umpteenth time. "I have to send Lara something. She wants to know if everything is going well. Should I ask if she will come by later?". Samantha shakes her head hard. "Okay. What happened between you two today?". I ask as I text Lara that everything is okay and that she doesn't have to worry anymore and that Samantha needs some time to herself. "She touched me a few times today, which made me annoyed. I could see how much it hurt her and some words went back and forth." Her tears begin to flow again. "Is that why you did it?". She shrugs. "It all hurts Sky and I miss Bryan and Jace so much". I grab her face and use my thumbs to wipe her tears away. "Oh dear." We look deep into each other's eyes and before I know it my lips are on hers. I know this isn't the right time, but I can't stop myself. It's not a very long kiss, but the feeling for each other can be felt in it. I leave her lips and lay my forehead against hers. We look at each other for a while and say nothing. I then pull her into a tight hug again. "I'm so tired Sky". I give her a kiss on the top of her head. I get up with her in my arms and go to the bedroom. "Go to sleep, Sammy. I'll be with you all the time." I say as soon as we're in bed together and I hold her close to me. I throw the covers over us and gently stroke Samantha through her hair. She soon falls asleep.