08.

If you'd asked me a week ago if I'd be sitting in a dining hall in a penthouse with a tech billionaire who strangled me till I passed out and almost let his bodyguard assault me, I would have said no, absolutely not, my life wasn't that interesting

If you'd asked me a week ago if I'd be sitting in a dining hall in a penthouse with a tech billionaire who strangled me till I passed out and almost let his bodyguard assault me, I would have said no, absolutely not, my life wasn't that interesting. Yet, here I was, chomping down on my eggs and watching him cut a piece of his rare-cooked steak.

It looked like raw meat, but it was browned over the surface, and when he pressed his fork into it, red liquid spurted out.

I scrunched my face. Not only was he a psycho who choked people, but he was also a barbarian who ate steak for breakfast.

I took a piece of scrambled egg and bacon into my mouth, eyeing him.

Today, his black hair was tied back, a few tendrils falling over his face. His facial features looked even more striking than I remembered. His lips were a dark shade of red. He had no laugh lines around his eyes or mouth and his nose was perfectly placed.

Why did someone as sexy as this need to go to the extreme of purchasing a wife when he literally could have anyone he wanted?

Maybe he was a playboy.

He looked like a one; the kind only good for sex. You could tick commitment off the box by merely just looking at him. And it wasn't that I was thinking about having sex or committing to him. I wrinkled my nose. Absolutely not.

After finishing his meal, he reached for his briefcase and pulled out a rectangular brown envelope that he slid across the polished glass table to me. "In there is the contract, expectations, rules, and boundaries. Get familiar with it."

I frowned. Wasn't he going to say anything concerning last night? "Are we just going to ignore it?"

"Ignore what?"

"Last night and the fact that you nearly took my life?"

"You had a knife, Ms. Bardot."

"That's because I thought you were an intruder."

His brows rose incredulously. "And attacking me with a knife was your brilliant plan?"

"I didn't know it was you, okay," I defended. "It was a knee-jerk reaction. When I heard those sounds, I panicked. Stefan informed me you were away, and I didn't expect you to return so soon."

"We're even then."

"How does that make us even? You almost killed me!"

"I didn't."

Deeply offended, I bit. "Do you even feel any remorse?"

He sighed. "I heard noises and found you wielding a knife like a maniac, I did what anyone in my situation would. Now please focus on our discussion. I don't have all day."

What an asshole.

Deciding to relent for now, I begrudgingly reached for the envelope and opened it. There were several neatly clipped papers inside. I retrieved them and leaned back in my chair, beginning to read without further comment.