45.

The moment I returned to the bar after taking several minutes to put my emotions in check, Tristan slid his arm around my waist, pulling me close to whisper in my ear

The moment I returned to the bar after taking several minutes to put my emotions in check, Tristan slid his arm around my waist, pulling me close to whisper in my ear. "Where have you been?"

My muscles stiffened from the contact. Somehow, being this close to him made my anger exacerbate. I wanted to push him away, I didn't want him near me, and I didn't want him breathing the same air as I did but William was right in front of us, and Shelly, she stood beside him, her eyes on me, expecting me to throw a tantrum but I wouldn't be that girl.

I pretended like I hadn't heard Tristan speak to me and turned to say my final goodbyes to the man smiling warmly at me.

So clueless, I almost felt sorry for him.

"I had fun tonight, Dr. Martin. Thank you for your hospitality."

"Oh, It's nothing. I hope we can do this again some other time." He said, extending his hand for a final handshake.

Smiling at this point was close to impossible but I forced my lips to lift as I accepted his shake. "Surely. Have a good night's rest."

"Good night."

When they walked away, I pulled away from Tristan's grip and started toward the entrance without sparing him a glance.

Outside, the valet rode the car to the front and while Tristan reached for his wallet to tip him, I got into the car by myself and shut the door with a bang.

"What's the problem, Sienna?" He asked me the moment he settled into the driver's seat. "Did I do something wrong?"

I looked away and faced the window, refusing to let him see the pain and humiliation swirling in my eyes.

His past relationship should've been none of my business. We weren't a couple, we had no real marriage, so why did I care so much? And why did it anger me that he'd been involved with a girl like Shelly?

I tightened my fist, feeling my nails dig into my palms as I recalled the marks on her body. It made perfect sense, it had to be the reason why he enjoyed emotionally and physically tormenting me so much.

I wanted to stop thinking about it but I couldn't get past the fact that those scars looked too recent. My mind spun with questions.

Did he really do that to her?

I didn't want to believe her words but it was hard not to when I had the evidence of his cruelty sitting on my backside.

He did it. He broke the contract just to be with her. Was this why he wanted so badly to be able to see other women? So he could continue his abominable ways?

Just what kind of a man was he?

The urge to cry had my throat in a chokehold. Humiliation burned my cheeks. I hated feeling stupid and he'd outrightly made a fool out of me.