29.

Long minutes passed, and Sienna still didn't suffice

Long minutes passed, and Sienna still didn't suffice. I busied myself with checking my emails, but it was hard to focus because the more minutes crawled by, the more my anxiety grew to immeasurable heights.

I drummed my fingers on the wheel. What was she up to? I leaned against the headrest and rubbed my face. I would wait only for two more minutes.

One minute passed.

Two.

I checked my watch. 1:45. My eyes closed, and a deep groan rolled out. Having had enough, I stepped out of the car and briskly made my way into the mart.

There was a shabby-looking man wearing a 'save the forest' shirt standing behind the rusty counter. His pupils dilated at the sight of me. "Good dog, what's a fine young man like you doing in this part of town?"

"Have you seen the girl who walked in here?" I asked, dismissing his admiration.

"What girl?" He looked at me with a puzzled expression on his blonde bearded face but his eyes lit up right after. "Oh, the raven head? Is she your girlfriend?"

"She's my wife," I said before I could stop myself and his eyes grew even brighter. "Amazing, most men with your looks don't settle down." He thumbed over his shoulder to the door at the end of the hall. "That's the female restroom. She's been in there for a while now."

Following his direction, I took the path down the meager, deserted store and trotted to the door with the restroom symbol on it.

I knocked. "Sienna?"

The unmistakable sound of retching that resonated from within made my stomach clench with worry. I twisted the knob immediately and looked in, surprised to find her doubled over the sink, one hand clutching her stomach and the other squeezing the sink as she vomited forth, again and again, a look of pain and pure discomfort etching on her face with every heave.

I took a step into the restroom but stopped almost immediately. What was I doing? My hands curled. I should've gone in there and helped her but I didn't know how. I wasn't even sure she wanted me here. It looked...personal, disgusting even.

I receded and walked out. My hands remained curled by my side as I ambled back to the counter.

"You good mate?" The owner asked me, distracting me from my varying thoughts. "You look tensed. What's going on in there? Is she alright?"

"She's throwing up." I confided, expecting him to be as disturbed by it as I was but he simply grinned.

"That's good news ey! How many months in is she?"

The innuendo behind his question made my body stiffen. "She's not." I bit, feeling shivers slither down my spine at the mere consideration of it.

I didn't want to have kids. Never. I couldn't love anything, I'd lost that ability a long time ago. If I ever had a child, I would hate it and it would hate me. There would be no connection. I'd make a terrible father, just like the one that raised me.